Back

Levi's eyes shot open, his body forcing him awake.

Though, he felt no warmth on his outstretched arm, where (Y/N) had been huddled the night before in her bed.

Except, this wasn't her bed.

This wasn't her room.

He sat straight up, any lingering effects of sleep falling away immediately. He was in his own bed, back at the Scout Legion headquarters. He laid atop the covers, already fully clothed in his uniform. He was given no time to panic or process what had happened, because a body burst through the door, accompanied by a voice.

"Up, up, up, sleepyhead!" Yelled Section Commander Hange. "We've got work to do today!"

Levi could have sighed in relief- there was visible proof that his friend he previously thought was gone for good was now here, and existing, but his heart wrenched at the sight of her. Something was off.

"Hmm? Don't tell me you're nervous about going outside the walls, Levi! It'll be just like old times! Imagine, seeing those big, steaming bodies just collapsing from our blades against their necks later today.... oooooh, the thought makes me all tingly!"

At any other time, he would have uttered "Shut up, four eyes." However, he was hit with the realization of why this was so wrong. She had spoken these exact words to him just a few days ago, before they went on their expedition, before they came back to Trost, and before-

"Yoo hoo! Is the Captain in there?" Hange was at his side, knocking her fist on his forehead. He pushed away her hand.

"Hange." He said, his voice solemn as ever.

"He speaks!" She gasped, emphatically raising a hand to her mouth.

He blinked a few times, trying to wear the splitting headache off. He gave himself a few moments to collect his thoughts. He had transported back to his old life, to about a half a day before he left it. Had those days in the other world been a dream?

He shook his head, putting his priorities in order. "Hange, do you know anyone by the name of-"

He was interrupted by a knock at the door. Hange bounded over to open it.

She stood blocking the visitor, so Levi couldn't see who it was.

Hange's shoulders perked up. "Cadet (Y/N)! If it isn't my favorite member of Levi Squad! Good morning! Have you come to wake the captain up as well?"

Levi's eyes widened. He was frozen, unable to get up from his seated position on his bed. His mind willed him to sprint towards the door and fling Hange aside, but his body was in too much shock to let him move.

The voice on the other side of Hange finally answered her. "Good morning, Hange, and... something like that."

Levi felt as if there were tiny arrows stabbing his heart. That was undoubtedly the voice of the woman he had fallen in love with. She was here. She was with him. Only, there was just someone in between them.

Hange lifted one of her arms to pat the woman's head. "Good girl! You know, I can always trust you to reign in Mr. Grumpy over there. I'll see you over at the stables later!"

"Sure thing."

Finally, she stepped out of the way, allowing the visitor to walk inside of the room, and Hange quickly shuffled out, sneakily closing the door behind her.

They locked eyes.

"(Y/N), I..." Levi stammered, not really sure what he was supposed to say. It didn't matter, because in seconds, (Y/N) was pressed against him, enveloping him in a tight embrace.