CH 11: Sports Festival Part 2: Survival of the Fittest and the Fiercest

Previously on Claws and Lightning...

(Y/N) Zeraora trains in preparation for the upcoming Sports Festival, refining his physical prowess and the development of his new techniques. The competition presents itself to be unruly and unpredictable. Shoto Todoroki confronts and declares war on Izuku Midoriya due to his subtle connections with All Might, then onto Zeraora due to his outburst and display of power during the USJ Attack. However, while Midoriya seemed nervous, intimidated and somewhat shook from the confrontation, Zeraora was unfazed, unimpressed and immediately dismisses the notion of Todoroki besting him.

Before the actual events began, the R-Rated Hero: Midnight called out Zeraora for the student pledge, due to him having scored the highest during the entrance exam. The young tiger stood before his pears and superiors, speaking more than he ever has previously. Announcing the childish and selfish behaviors of the first years who antagonized him and his classmates. Then immediately questioned and tested whether or not they, and his classmates truly yearned to become heroes. And it didn't stop there, he then openly exposed the inadequacy of the many people who call themselves "Pro Heroes".  

The first event was an Obstacle Course, a race to the end. Todoroki had been maintaining the lead up until the tail end of the race, where he and Bakugo were brawling each other for the advantage. Midoriya utilizing his crafty mind, took advantage of the mines used in the final obstacle and instantly overtook the two. Before Bakugo and Todoroki could shift their focus back to the race, Zeraora unleashed his new move "Extreme Speed", swiftly blitzed the two before they could even react. Midoriya and Zeraora are now racing to finish, the victor is left unclear. 

"WHAT DO I DO?! WHAT DO I DO"?!

"ZERACHAN IS RIGHT BEHIND ME"!

"I SHOULD USE ONE FOR ALL TO SLOW HIM DOWN"!

"NO NO NO! THAT WOULD NEVER WORK"! 

"HE WOULD SEE THE ATTACK COMINING AND DOGDE EASILY"!

"WHAT DO I DO?! HE COULD OVERTAKE ME IN AN INSTANT"!!!

Midoriya panics frantically, as he pushes he self to accelerate and outrun the approaching tiger.

The end of the obstacle course is in sight Midoriya ran as beads of nervous sweat poured uncontrollably. While Zeraora ran calmly with no real concern. 

Then...

The victor stepped through the gate.

"WHAT AN UNBELIEVEABLE TURN OF EVENTS! CLASS 1A'S IZUKA MIDORIYA TAKES FIRST PLACE ON THE OBSTACLE COURSE"! Present Mic announces with a thunderous roar of enthusiasm.

The crowd cheers loudly praising Midoriya for his achievements. The pro heroes and UA staff applaud the boy, as he looks on completely awestruck but also proud.

Zeraora stepped through immediately after Midoriya, witnessing his classmate shedding tears of joy. Not bothered being placed second, Zeraora shrugs and casually brushes himself off.

Unbeknownst to him, Aizawa looks on from the spectators seat with a confused expression.

"Weird, Zeraora's default physical prowess is much greater than Midoriya's. He could've easily overtaken him, and yet he didn't. Did that new move take a lot out of him? Or did he willingly let Midoriya have the victory? I swear, the kid's enigma". Aizawa ponders, trying to make sense of what had transpired.