Two Strangers on the Hogwarts Express

Author: lotus_lizzy
Title: Two Strangers on the Hogwarts Express
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Harry and Draco meet on the Hogwarts Express.
Warnings: Implied character death
Total word count: 3,012

The landscape rushed by in a blur of green and brown. Harry was having trouble keeping his eyelids open, but something told him sleep was not a good idea. He leaned against the window, letting the coolness soothe his heated cheeks.

The train compartment was empty. The leather bench seats were familiar. There was the crack in the far corner that Harry always nervously played with on his way to Hogwarts, and the dark stain on the carpet where Ron had mashed up one of his chocolate frogs. It was familiar, yet different. Things were getting a little blurred around the edge.

Harry could feel the train stop, but he didn’t recognize the scenery outside. It just continued to be a blur of green and brown from the trees. He sat up straight and attempted to fix his clothing.

The door opened. Harry looked up, surprised, and yet unsurprised at Draco’s arrival. He always met Draco on the Hogwarts Express.

Draco looked a little nervous, unsure. Harry had felt that way too, at first, but then the constant trees and the rocking of the train had eased his worries.

Draco sat down on the edge of the seat across from Harry, his head hung low. Harry had the sudden urge to comfort the man, but that’s not how things worked. Draco was Draco. Harry was Harry. Or did that matter any more?

Harry decided to test it out, just to see if things were still the same.

“Hey.”

Draco didn’t respond. He continued to hang his head, his blond hair falling into his face. Harry shrugged, not too disappointed. This was just the Hogwarts Express, nothing else to worry about really.

The two sat in silence for a while. Harry tried to look out the window again, but the trees had stopped being interesting. Draco, with his blue pin stripe suit and white blond hair was much more interesting.

Finally Draco sat upright. He dragged a shaking hand through his hair and then let his hand fall into his lap with a thump.

“Of course. Potter.”

Draco sneered, but Harry didn’t take offense. Harry just smiled back. Draco looked at Harry strangely before continuing.

“So, this is it?”

Harry turned his head.

“What do you mean?”

Draco hissed and stood. He began to pace in the little compartment, his steps agitated.

“I mean, is this it? You and me, in this train compartment, forever?”

Harry stared at Draco, who looked more like a white tiger pacing in a cage. It was fascinating. He wondered if he too would begin to blur like the images outside. Draco began to swear under his breath.

“Of course. I knew it. I fucking knew it. Potter, always Potter.”

Harry was beginning to get dizzy, watching the white tiger. He reached out and pushed Draco back down onto the seat.