Old Souls

Author: yura_slash
Title: Old Souls
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco
Rating: PG
Summary: Harry and Draco have prophetic dreams that compel them to seek each other out.
Warnings: non-explicit mpreg
Total word count: 5,317

Harry awoke gasping for breath.

What?

Images jumbled in his head: a man with fiery red hair and a scraggly beard, a runic circle on a field of endless green, Draco Malfoy, expression fierce and angry, a locket...

Before he could make sense of it all, it was gone, leaving only the faintest of impressions and the feeling that he had forgotten something important.

He fell back asleep shortly after.

********************

On the other side of the castle, deep in the dungeons, Draco awoke panting and sweating as if he’d just finished a marathon. There had been...

A man with dark, lank hair and a long goatee, a runic circle on a field of endless green, and Harry Potter, expression full of determination and a frightening level of resolve, thrusting downwards with a jewel-encrusted sword.

Draco sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes. What else? Desperately, he tried to remember more—the dream had been so intense as to seem prophetic—but it was no use. The images slipped through his consciousness like water through a sieve. He was left feeling, however, as if he were on the wrong path, and that some greater force was trying to push him in the right direction.

He pushed the sheets off of himself and got out of bed—there was no use in trying to fall back asleep now. Maybe breakfast would be laid out already; he’d always thought better with a full stomach.

********************

The dreams didn’t stop. Hadn’t stopped in more than two weeks. Harry was starting to go mad, the dreams were so intense and all-encompassing. He’d fallen asleep in class just that day, too exhausted to stay awake, and immediately been plunged into a scene of himself, Draco and four others standing in a runic circle. The outlying land was green, lush, and devoid of any other life, and the four figures around them had all raised their wands and pointed them upwards –

“Harry!”

Harry came to attention just before stepping off a landing and into empty space.

“Harry, the staircase just moved—we’ve got to go the long way back to the Tower. What’s the matter with you lately?”

“Not getting enough sleep,” he mumbled, turning to follow Hermione and Ron.

“Voldemort?” Ron asked with a pained expression.

“No, just dreams,” he said. “Keep having them. Too intense.”

“Harry, you never know,” Hermione said. “They could be prophetic if they’re particularly intense and repetitive. What are they about?”

Harry shrugged. “It’s not important. Don’t worry about it.”

“Okay, Harry,” Hermione said, giving Ron a concerned look.