Burn, Burn

Author: marguerite_26
Title: Burn, Burn
Pairing(s): H/D
Rating: NC-17
Summary: The tireless dance of the flame, random and hypnotic, burned Draco’s retinas but he refused to look away. Closer, closer he reached until his palm hovered above the tiny flame. Three, two, then one inch away.
Warnings (if any): Disturbing imagery, self-mutilation, light bondage
Total word count: 9,800

Burn, burn the truth, the lies, the news
Burn, burn the life, that you can choose
Burn, burn the hate, that gets, you through
Burn, burn for us, for them, for you

Burn, Burn by Lostprophets

Part I

Dear Mother,

I am writing as promised to confirm I have arrived safely and without incident. After all we have been through, being back at Hogwarts is surreal. The castle is beautiful in peacetime. Words cannot express how grateful I am to be here.

All is well, finally.

Love, Draco.

Draco rolled the parchment, grabbed his sealing wax and pulled the nearest candle closer. The dorm room was cold; he leaned into the heat, losing himself in the flame as it flickered silently amid the constant draft of the dungeon.

Finally, he raised the stick of red wax and warmed it, watching the tip morph into a glistening liquid. One large drop slipped from the end and landed on his hand, looking like blood a split second before it hardened.

Draco hissed at the sharp sensation. Smearing the thick red over the parchment, he pressed in his family’s seal, then pushed the parchment and sealing wax to the side.

The dorm room was rather too quiet. Not a single other boy from Draco’s year had returned. Zabini had managed to pass the NEWTs exams offered by the Ministry mid-summer. Nott had been killed during a raid sometime during seventh year, according to the statement that his father had given to Aurors. Draco had read it in the Prophet weeks ago.

He'd heard nothing about Goyle. Neither he nor his father had been heard from since the final battle. Their faces appeared on the Wanted posters throughout Wizarding Britain. They likely would have been better off if they'd stood trial, his mother had said. Those who pled guilty were treated well enough. Draco had received three months house arrest with the condition that he return to Hogwarts. His father was given twenty-seven weeks in Azkaban and five years house arrest following that.

He should be grateful, he'd been told.

The tireless dance of the flame, random and hypnotic, burned Draco’s retinas but he refused to look away. Flicker, flicker, dance, the flame trembled with each exhalation, but never extinguished.

His right hand tentatively rose, palm out, fingers spread wide. Closer, closer it crept. The heat gathered around it, a sentinel to the danger. Close enough, his instinct screamed. Closer, closer he reached until his palm hovered above the tiny flame. Three, two, then one inch away.

Draco stopped, waited and watched. It wasn’t until he detected the putrid scent of burning flesh that he pulled back.

ooOOoo

Harry watched the first light of the morning creep through the dirty glass of his dorm room window. In the bed next to his, Ron woke with a contented sigh. “It’s like we never left, eh?” Without waiting for a reply, he got up and padded towards the showers.