The Devil You Know

Author: eeyore9990
Title: The Devil You Know
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco (preslash) (Estranged Draco/Astoria, past Harry/Ginny)
Rating: PG-13
Summary: The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. - Ivy Baker Priestin Parade, 1958
Warnings: Epilogue-compliant, disturbing conduct by a minor (including a brief episode of animal cruelty)
Total word count: appx. 14,400

Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the kings don't expect them to be. -- Terry PratchettSmall Gods

Draco blinked once, the only sign that he was paying any attention to the words coming from the Healer's mouth.

"Your son…"

The room was green. Not a nice, healthful shade of green, but a putrid, eye-searing chartreuse that defied description.

"… dead…"

Every hospital in the world probably started out with nice, pleasant eggshell-coloured walls, but due to cracks in the walls of the universe, they all turned into this. It was as if the walls were decaying before his eyes and no one had the sense to stop them.

"We were able…"

The orange chairs couldn't have clashed more horribly if they'd been purchased with the intention of being occupied by Weasleys. Actually, that might provide an explanation, now he thought about it.

"…sleeping peacefully…"

Turning his head, Draco speared the Healer with his gaze and calmly spoke over the rapidly flustering man. "Where is Scorpius? I would like to remove him to the Manor. His personal Healer will continue his treatments. I expect to find his charts—not copies, mind you, but every bit of paperwork associated with today's… mishap—owled to me at your earliest convenience. An appropriate donation will, of course, be made to St Mungo's for your excellent treatment of my son."

"Ah, Mr Malfoy, I don't think that would be a good idea—"

"Paid to have good ideas, are you? Splendid. I'll expect that owl before tea."

Standing, Draco offered a hand to his wife, who was quietly sniffling—disgusting habit, that—and led her from the room. In the corridor, he accosted the first Healer he came to and was immediately directed to his son's room.

"Draco, perhaps we shouldn't—"

"Don't tax yourself, dear," Draco said, his voice slicing thinly but cutting deep. "I didn't marry you for your ability to think, after all." Astoria quieted immediately, though Draco could positively feel the wave of ice she was projecting towards him.

Draco watched closely as Scorpius—so tiny and pale against the starched sheets—was readied for Portkey home. Draco allowed himself one small, relieved breath as his child was whisked away by magic, then resumed his mien of cool indifference as he dealt with the matter of the Malfoy image.

A weighty bag filled with Galleons saw to it that there existed no record of his son's brief hospital stay.

"Mr Potter?"

Harry Potter, Head Auror and all around Man in Charge of Paperwork, looked up from his desk to see his secretary framed in the doorway of his tiny office. "Yes?"