Earthed

Author: khateh
Title: Earthed
Pairing(s): Harry/Draco preslash
Rating: PG
Summary: The 7th year students were meant to become friends and learn more about a foreign culture, but unexpected circumstances force them to face more than they were prepared for.
Warnings (if any): character death
Total word count: 2,500

The plane crashed and the pilot died. There was nothing we could do for him. We walked for a couple of hours that evening and set camp.

Harry trails the page with his wand and murmurs Exibeo, and a blue mist rises from the page, enveloping him.

~*~

The journal is elegant and out of place on the dirty blanket, but no one seems to notice it. They're all sitting by the fire, holding cups filled with tea – or as close as they can get to it – and listening to Harry.

"The distance on the map is smaller if we go in the other direction," he says, looking at a tall, skinny boy, "but it is more difficult and we could have accidents."

"Yes, but some of us who are more fit could go ahead and –"

"Winning a running race in Scotland doesn't mean you'll be able to do this, Maelstrom, so I suggest you quit playing hero." Draco takes a branch and throws it into the fire with a little more force than is strictly necessary. The ashes underneath rise and flutter through the air, catching fire for a few moments before they fall back. "We need to stick to the rivers, obviously, and we need to find things we can eat from the forest."

His voice is strong and commanding and none of the students dare to reply. After all, it's obvious that whatever plants are left are covered in ashes from the volcano, and that finding any fruits, let alone knowing which ones are edible, is nearly impossible.

"We won't split," Harry says after a short pause, as if he and Malfoy talking alternatively is meant to be. "Draco and I will go ahead in case something happens, but if you notice anything, or someone falls behind, tell us."

"We can't stop for every –" another boy speaks, looking at the girls scornfully. "We might never get there."

"We won't leave anyone behind," Harry says hotly, and everyone looks down, worried, scared and tired. Everyone except Draco.

~*~

The air is heavy with dust, dust which rises with every step and settles only to go up again a few moments later.

"Do you think the volcano will explode?" a girl asks, and everyone else sighs, knowing how easily panicked she is and how she would worry if anyone suggested something could go wrong.

"No, Miss Pebble, it won't explode. Volcanoes bloody erupt and –" Draco stops as Harry touches his left arm.

"If an eruption was imminent, we wouldn't have come," Potter explains patiently, and she nods. "We have enough food and there are plenty of rivers here, so you shouldn't worry."

Draco mumbles something, and the students who are walking a step behind him laugh, causing Harry to frown.

"Draco, please," he whispers as soon as they're next to each other again. "You can't… They're scared and they can't cope if you don't show some support."