II. Civil War

2.1. Meeting again

Later on Steve and I went on our search for Bucky again. And well we found him. However at that point he was already being framed (well we thought so, other people didn't) for the UN bombing and all of the terrorist attacks. Our reunion was eventually interrupted by the arrival of GSG 9 agents.

Bucky ran and we went after him. However he was attacked by T'Challa (who I had come to know due to the discussions of the Sokovian Accords and we respected each other at least) since he had lost his father in the bombing. Sam (who had also come after us), Steve, Bucky and I ended up being arrested.

I tried to get out of my cuffs using my powers, but an agent spoke up saying they were made to negate my powers. Assholes. Bucky was locked in a containment cell with his arm fixed down and had to watch as the rest of us were greeted by Everett Ross, the leader of some Joint counter terrorist team thing. I protested at the conditions Bucky was being held at. He was my friend even if he didn't remember much, I couldn't just leave it at that.

"Listen here, I don't know who you think you are but you can't keep him like that!" Sam motions for me to be quiet but I ignore him and stare at Ross with anger.

"Miss Y/l/n, he needs to be questioned."

"Well then I want to be there. I knew him during...When he wasn't himself. Maybe I can help." Ross eyes me suspiciously but nods.

"An agent will lead you there. Barnes is being questioned by Theo Broussard - a psychiatrist." Giving him a short thanks I assure Steve and Sam that I'll be fine and follow the agent to the interrogation place.

However what I see there makes me freeze. What was Zemo doing there? Was he the psychiatrist? Seeing him after all this time brought back all the memories but I manage to compose myself. I was here to help Bucky. I couldn't be distracted now. I was going to try to talk to Zemo later.

He doesn't seem to find me being there distracting or surprising as he continues questioning Bucky about the horrors he had seen during his time with HYDRA. The other agents had left to guard the door and it was just Zemo, Bucky (who was restrained) and I.

Bucky refuses to talk about his time with HYDRA and I'm about to say Zemo's name to make him stop but hesitate. Had he lied about his identity too? Who really was Zemo? Suddenly a blackout hits and I notice that all the cameras stop working. Red lights start flickering and it gives me goosebumps.

"Um...maybe you should stop the questioning." I try to interject, but "Zemo'' ignores me as he starts reciting the trigger words that would reactivate the Winter Soldier Program training. My eyes widen. How did he get the code?  What was he doing? Suddenly I remember his words from Sokovia: "You will all pay". I realise he's trying to turn Bucky into the Winter Soldier again to use against the Avengers and I use my powers to push him back, his back hitting the wall. I saw Bucky attempt to break free and punch the glass.

"Stop!" I yell out to catch Zemo's attention. I couldn't let him take my friend away from me again. Despite what I may have felt about him I was not going to let this happen. Zemo smiles and takes out a gun aiming it at me.

"Sorry to do this, but I told you, I promised my family... they're all going to pay for what they did to me." A bang echoes and I feel myself getting dizzy and fall to the ground. He must have hit me with some sort of stun gun as I find myself not being able to move.

I hear him finish saying the code words just as Bucky breaks free and goes back into his compliant mode. My eyes fill with tears as I try to do anything, anything at all to stop this, but still wasn't able to do so.

Zemo demanded to know the location of the HYDRA Siberian Facility so he could unleash the other Winter Soldiers. And that's the last thing I remember as darkness overcomes me...