2.3. Aftermath

I see T'Challa outside as well and not really caring when he had arrived I join him as we both find Zemo listening to a phone message.

"You should've seen his little face. Just try, okay? I'm going to bed. I love you."

My stomach turns. Zemo's wife. He was listening to that voicemail in Sokovia too. It broke my heart but I was so conflicted within myself too. I understood his pain but I couldn't excuse his actions and his revenge path.

"I almost killed the wrong man." T'Challa speaks as we get nearer. Zemo turns towards us with a sad smile.

"This is all you wanted? To see us rip each other apart?" I ask, sadness filling my heart at the pain in Zemo's face.

"My father lived outside the city. I thought we would be safe there. My son was excited. He could see Iron Man from the car window. I told my wife, "Don't worry. They are fighting in the city. We're miles from harm." When the dust cleared . . . and the screaming stopped. It took me two days until I found their bodies. My father . . . still holding my wife and son in his arms. And the Avengers? They went home."

"Not all of us." I whisper and Zemo smiles.

"Yes, not all of you. But what you did was even worse." I wanted to tell him it wasn't too late. That we could still fix this, that I still cared but I found myself speechless. Not being able to look at him in the eyes I let T'Challa speak.

"Vengeance has consumed you. I am done letting it consume me." My hands tremble as I see Zemo holding a gun. Before I can do anything he tries to shoot himself, but T'Challa grabs the bullet just as he fires. He takes him into custody.

I watch him go and wish I could say something, do anything to make it better but I can't. As he's said I had done enough harm, but so had he. After all he did, trying to turn Bucky fully into the Winter Soldier again, tearing the Avengers apart...I couldn't comprehend it. I couldn't excuse it, even if my judgement was clouded by my buried (or so I liked to think) feelings for him.

Once outside the facility after the fight with Tony, Steve and Bucky meet T'Challa and I. Before leaving to take Zemo to Everett Ross, T'Challa told Bucky that he had sources in Wakanda that could help remove HYDRA's programming. Steve went to save the rest of our teammates as I headed to Wakanda with Bucky and T'Challa. Steve joined us later when Bucky had all the remains of his mostly-destroyed robotic arm removed.

I ended up telling them (and later on Sam) about what had happened between Zemo and I in Sokovia. They much to my surprise didn't judge me as much as I thought they would and understood. At least partly. I felt like I would never completely get over the guilt I felt, but I was glad I had their support.

I was happy I had finally saved Bucky from HYDRA, and I finally found other people that cared and that I could trust (that being Sam, Steve and T'Challa). T'Challa later on told us Bucky would have to return to cryo-sleep to have a better chance of having the Winter Soldier programming removed.

"Are you sure about this Buck?" I was scared of losing one of my only friends again even if this was for his own good. He smiles at me and gives me a hug. Letting out a sharp breath I snuggle into his embrace.

"I can't trust my own mind. I need to do this. I promise I'm not going anywhere." I nod after Bucky and I part from our hug and give him a small smile. I knew he was right and this was important to him so i agreed.

"See you soon, buddy." Bucky and Steve also say their goodbyes and Bucky goes back into cryo-sleep. "What are you going to do now?" Steve asks me, seeing my nervousness. "Are you going to see Zemo?" I shake my head.

"I can't. Not after what he did to us and to Bucky." Steve gives me a sympathetic smile. "I'll probably stay here. "

"Then so will I..."