V. The Mission

A/N: When they speak Sokovian the words will be in bold and italic like this

Oh also next few days and like idk the following week will be kind of busy for me so if I disappear for a bit that's why. Thanks for all the support there's a lot more coming ;)

5.1. Encounter

Two days after visiting Zemo I got a message from Bucky. Well someone learned how to use their phone. "Sam and I need your help. Sam said he has emailed you things about the Flag Smashers, you'll see who they are. I'll send you an address, meet us there.".

That's all he said, but it was enough to get me to help them. They were still my closest friends even if they weren't on the best of terms with each other. I was kind of surprised that they had ended up working together. Sighing I open my laptop to read Sam's email on the group called the Flag Smashers, whoever they were. What I manage to learn adds a lot of information to what I know.

All I knew is they wanted the world to go back to how it was after Thanos used the Infinity Stones - one world, one people. After we undid Thanos's actions billions were affected, even if the Global Repatriation Council was formed to help, Karli Morgenthau (apparently the leader of the Flag Smashers) believed they didn't care about people who had lived through those years, and hadn't disappeared.

The Flag Smashers wanted to restore things back to the way they were - a united world without borders. And apparently Sam had tried to stop them, but Bucky went with him and they discovered the group had super soldiers in them. That made me anxious. Why were there more of us and how?

It makes me think of Zemo's belief that all super soldiers can't be allowed to exist. Not that I believed in all of that, but...perhaps he was right. From what I gathered from Sam's email this group was dangerous, their methods flawed, they had hurt people even if they were helping others.

Apparently the new "Captain America" John Walker and his partner had assisted Bucky and Sam. I clench my fist as I read that part of the email. I hated the thought of having to come face to face with this wannabe. Steve was the only Captain America and this guy didn't deserve that title. Knowing I would probably have to cross paths with him I prepare myself mentally to not get too angry.

After finishing the email I quickly pack some things in a bag and look at the text Bucky has sent me. Where in the hell was he bringing us? I hire a driver to get me to the location and walk inside what looks like a garage. Moving further inside I hear Bucky and Sam arguing.

"What are you talking about? You wanna break Zemo out of jail? Have you lost your mind?" Sam is yelling and my eyes widen. Break Zemo out? What the hell?

"We have nothing! We need him. There are eight Super Soldiers loose."

"You must have really lost it. He's going to mess with both of your heads." Finally nearing the two of them I just lean against the wall, not interrupting them. They hadn't noticed me anyways.

"Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code."

"He blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget that?!" Sam's words bring back unnecessary memories.

"That's why I asked for her help. She can keep him in line." Sam scoffs at Bucky's response.

"So uh...Hi." Finally I speak up and the two of them turn their heads towards me.

"How long did you stand here?" Bucky asks with a sigh.

"Long enough." I smile at Sam and go give him a hug. "Hey, Sam."

"Hey. Sorry to be dragging you into this mess. But you need to talk Bucky out of this suicidal plan."

"Can I walk you through a hypothetical?" Bucky interrupts him before I've even said anything. Sam and I listen to Bucky describe a possible escape plan for Zemo and both of us realise this might not be hypothetical at all.

"What did you do?" Sam interjects and Bucky protests saying he hasn't done anything. Suddenly all of us turn around when we hear footsteps. I feel my hands tremble slightly as we see Zemo in a prison guard's uniform heading towards us. "Whoa, whoa. What are you doing here?"

"Technically he broke himself out." Bucky notes and I growl focusing my attention on Zemo. He gives me an amused smile.

"You did what now?" Sam gives Bucky a worried look, noticing my distress and anger. My annoyance grows immensely. He not only has been hiding things from me but now broke Zemo out of jail. What in the actual hell. I couldn't comprehend the fact that we were going to carry out a mission with Zemo by our side. I wasn't really ready to spend so much time with him, yes I wanted to reconcile but the whole situation made me anxious because I knew he was going to try and get me riled up.

"Look, Y/N I'm sorry, I know you're not happy with this, but we need him. And we need you."

"Pretty much." Zemo comments and I sigh taking the information in. Of course I was ready to help Sam and Bucky but Zemo's smirk was getting me agitated. I could feel his stare from the back of the room and when I saw his amused smile I used my powers to knock a box over that hit him in the shoulder.

"What was that for?" He complains and Sam snorts. "Not my fault you're partly responsible for me being free again."

"Again?" Bucky raises an eyebrow but I just wave my hand at him to ignore Zemo. I couldn't do this right now.

"Let's just do this." Sam seems agitated as well, but simply nods, deciding to keep his thoughts at bay for now.

"Okay. If we do, you don't make a move without our permission." Sam warns and Zemo raises his arms in surrender and it makes me chuckle.

"I wouldn't dream of it. I missed you, darling." I freeze and Bucky's eyes narrow. I was the only person besides Zemo who knew Sokovian but I hadn't heard it since our time there. He was the one who taught me more of the language.

"Don't call me that, Helmut." The only thing Sam and Bucky understood was Zemo's first name

"Can we speak English please?" The annoyance in Sam's voice is evident and I nod.

"So what's your plan - grand theft auto?" Bucky asks and Zemo shrugs, pointing to all the cars in the garage.

"These are mine. Collected by family over the generations. Our first stop is a woman - Selby, I still have some sort of connection there and from that we go up the chain..."