should've stayed but went

i picked up my phone
"hey maddy!" i said all excited.
"ashley" she said.
she didn't sound okay. she sounded like she was crying.
"what's wrong" i asked her.
"i passed out in class and when the paramedics got me they saw all the bruises. and now i'm in the principals office. he stepped out for a second to talk to some cops. but ashley this is really bad."
"okay maddy,um until i figure out a plan just deny deny deny. okay?"
"that's what i did.but he asked me if nate did this. like he knows nate is aggressive and everyone knows that me and nate are always fighting."
"okay,i'm gonna come to school just deny it okay. and when i get there we can figure out a plan."
"no don't come here. it'll just make everything look more sus if you show up this late."
"maddy i have to go. cause if the principal thinks nate did this,he's gonna call marsha and cal down there and they're gonna wonder why i'm not at school"
"fuck" she mumbled.
"look i'll just go to class and stay out of it. and when i get home i'll try to find out what i can and see if nate is in trouble" i said.
"okay"
end of conversation.

fuck. fuck. fuck.
it was already 11. i can't just show up to school 3 and a half hours late. but i'm going to anyways. i quickly threw a very big hoodie on the covered my neck. i also threw some leggings on and slipped on my air forces and i immediately drove to school.

when i got there i snuck in one of the side doors and walked into my class. the teacher was sleeping like usual so i didn't have to explain myself.

i watched as cal and marsha walked passed my classroom with a police officer behind them. cal looked uneasy. like in the same way he did when jules was at the chili booth. what is he hiding?

anyways. then 20 minutes later i watched nate walking down the hallway with two police officers behind him. he made eye contact with me and immediately looked down.

within 10 minutes,i was called to the principals office. "miss.gray do you know anything about the bruising on maddy perez's neck" he asked. "nah,fuck that bitch" i lied. i only said it in hopes that he wouldn't think i did know something. however,it completely backfired.

"are you protecting nate" he asked me. i didn't say anything. "i know you and miss.perez have had your differences,but if mr.jacobs did something to her that you're not telling us about just because he is your brother and want to protect him,you need to come forward" he said to me.

"me and him are NOT related. and why would i lie for nate? he's an asshole. but no,i'm being serious he didn't do anything to maddy. he was with me the whole time" i lied. the principal nodded his head and let me go after he reprimanded me for the fowl language i was using.

i walked back to class,and on my way there i saw maddy sitting in an empty room by herself waiting for the cops to come talk to her. i walked in there and gave her a big hug.

"did they ask you anything?" she asked me. "yeah,i denied everything" i said. she nodded her head. me and her sat in the seats looking out into the hallway.

nate passed the door with cal and marsha. thank god cal nor marsha saw me. "i love you girls" nate mouthed to us. "i love you" we both mouthed to him and he walked off.

me and him have never said i love you to each other before. and i don't know if he meant it in a brotherly way or in a romantic way but either way i wasn't expecting it.

i went back to class and was jittery all day. as mad as i was at nate,i didn't want him to get in trouble. i mean me and maddy were both pretty fucking high the night of the carnival. maddy made a big scene and called marsha a cunt. maddy made an embarrassment out of the whole family. like obviously he was going to get mad. but like choking her AND me?!?!

i've said before and i'll say it again,that boy has some serious fucking issues that he's gonna have to figure out how to deal with. because if he doesn't he's gonna get himself into trouble. well i mean i guess he already did. he's literally getting investigated by the cops right now
for choking maddy. but at least no one knew of the bruising on my neck.

or at least not yet.