𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐘

***

Aavya stood in the kitchen with a blank expression on her face. No thoughts. Head empty as hell. She didn't know if it was the fact that Kevin had cancer, the fact Xoe had kissed her, or the fact that she was just mentally not in it. Kevin placed his hands flat on the counter and sighed, shaking his head.

"Look, I've been meaning to tell you but every time I tried you were too busy. And—"

"No," she interrupted. "Just... stop talking."

She needed to process what was happening and Kevin's rambling was not helping at all. Aavya soon felt a gust of guilt wash over her as the only thing she was 'busy doing' was Michael.

Michael.

And she felt even more guilty because Kevin had been trying to tell her but she was too busy fixated on Michael to even properly think about Kevin's wants, needs, or even existence.

"What type?" She murmured, causing Kevin to frown.

"What?"

"What type of cancer?" Her voice croaked as the question felt all too familiar from when she asked her dad that same question just years ago.

When her mom was diagnosed. Kevin cleared his throat and sighed.

"Brain." He answered. "Stage two."

Aavya sighed and shook her head. Her mother died from breast cancer, but it all felt a little too familiar. She asked, "Is that why you passed out?"

"No, I had high blood pressure so when I went to the doctors they found something concerning and saw... well... tumors." He finished and shook his head. "I'm scared as hell."

Aavya looked up to him with tears in her eyes and shook her head. "I had... I had no idea."

Kevin walked around the counter and sighed, shaking his head as well. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her head. "It's okay, baby. I ain't upset."

Aavya sniffled and wiped her eyes. "What're the next steps?"

Kevin pulled away and bit his bottom lip. "Looking at chemo treatments and shit. I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow." Kevin sniffled. "I-I'm scared."

"I can go with you if you'd like." Aavya offered and Kevin shook his head.

"I need to do this alone,"

Aavya felt a tear escape as they entirety of the conversation made her think of her mother. She hesitantly wrapped her arms around Kevin's torso and hummed into his chest. She didn't want to relive the fear of losing someone when you were in a fight because her pride caused her to not apologize, so she decided to comfort him.

"It's okay, baby." She quietly reassured and she rubbed his back. "I-I got you."

Kevin looked down to Aavya and placed his hand on her chin, rubbing it lightly. Aavya knew this meant he wanted to kiss her, but she just didn't feel the same. As he was leaning closer, Aavya moved upward and gave him a weary kiss on his cheek.

"You can... stay the night." She informed him to dodge the kiss, which made him pull back almost instantly. Kevin gave a smile and she gave him one more squeeze of reassurance to reciprocate the gesture.