Chapter 8

You wake with a startle. Hands are clasped around your shoulders, shaking you until you've groggilyy opened your eyes. Above you is Jungkook. His eyes narrow down at you in concern as you groan from being rudely woken.

"Y/N, there's someone at the door." At his words, you're wide awake and push Jungkook to the floor so you can sit up. You hear his body hit the ground with a thud but you're too shocked by his presence in your room to be fazed by it. He's in your room, and you weren't prepared to wake up to see his face hovering over yours.

You clutch the blanket closer to your bare chest. Your cheeks redden further when you glance down at Jungkook to see him only wearing a pair of exercise shorts that ride up mid thigh when he pulls his legs to his body. He mumbles an "ouch" and caresses the hip he must've landed on.

Slight sympathy courses through you but it's quick. You're far too upset at the fact he broke one of the rules. And when you had such high hopes for him too.

"J-Jungkook, get out of my room!" You spew at him and point a finger harshly at the door.

He apologizes for the intrusion as he rises off the floor and follows your direction. Once he closes the door, you can hear him say sorry one more time before he reiterates what he said before. "There's some guy at the door. He says he wants his clothes back."

Shit. It's Namjoon, and he now knows the lie behind why you had asked to borrow them. You throw the blanket off your almost naked figure and rush to get dressed. You end up tugging on Jungkook's cream sweater and some boxer shorts that can't really be seen, but you don't have time to think about what you look like. As soon as you're clothed, you swing your bedroom door open and beeline to the entrance of your apartment. You take a deep breath to collect yourself before you turn the doorknob to reveal Namjoon wearing a look of disbelief.

Before you can say a word, he gives you a quick once over and smirks. "Why did you need my clothes when you're already wearing your boyfriend's? Kind of surprised he doesn't mind that you asked to use mine, but if he's open to sharing then so am I." Namjoon tucks his bottom lip between his teeth and lifts his brows suggestively.

Your neighbor is really something else. With a roll of your eyes, you respond, "I didn't use them. Jungkook did, and trust me, you're not his type."

"Yeah, I don't know," Namjoon rebuttles with a hiss. "He seemed to really enjoy looking at my thighs."

You glance down his body to see him in a pair of shorts almost similar to Jungkook's. His legs are toned, and you have to admit, they are kind of nice, but Jungkook's are better. Wait... what the hell are you even saying? You shake the thought out of your head and return you gaze back on Namjoon's.

"What are you actually here for?" You know better than to believe Namjoon would ask for his clothes back. When he gave them to you, he told you that you could keep them.

Namjoon let's out a sigh, and you swear you see a hint of hesitation morph onto his features. "Okay, truth is I was going to ask if you'd like to go to Vante's tomorrow night... with me." He pauses for a second. "Jokes aside, I don't want to become a homewrecker, and I respect your current relationship so I'm, uh, I'm just gonna go. I'll see you later." With that, Namjoon turns over his shoulder and heads back into his apartment down the hall.

You furrow your brows in confusion because you've never seen such a soft and understanding side of Namjoon. You're having a hard time believing that the guy who bombards you with sexual innuendos and heavily flirts with you actually has real feelings.

Does he have a crush on you? No, no way. This is Namjoon you're talking about. You don't think anymore about it, closing the door.

You turn and jolt. Jungkook is standing a couple feet behind you. You don't know how long he's been standing there but his puzzled expression tells you he's been there for most of the exchange. Plus, Namjoon's clothes are in one hand, ready to be returned to their rightful owner.

"Um, you can just put those in the hamper. I'm going to wash them first before giving them back," you say gently, brushing past Jungkook to go back to your room. You stop shortly when he asks you a question.

"Why are you wearing my sweater?"

Your cheeks warm at his inquiry. "Huh? Oh, it's just the first thing I grabbed. I'm going to go change." You don't look back, afraid of showing him how flustered the question makes you. Not that he'll understand anyway, but you do.

You take the remaining steps into your room, and as swiftly as you can, switch his clothes out for yours. You walk back out in a your work uniform.

Unbeknownst to Namjoon, you actually work as a front desk clerk at Vante's, the art gallery he wanted to take you to. Your heart warms at his nice gesture but it also reminds you of how little you two know about each other. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to make an effort and become friends with him. After all, you are neighbors. You can be friendly.

But not only does Namjoon not know, neither does Jungkook. When you head to kitchen, you catch Jungkook resting on the couch. He's still in those pair of shorts that shows so much skin. It doesn't help that he's also not wearing a shirt, which rests on the coffee table.

"I forgot to tell you yesterday but I'll be gone from 9 to 3 this afternoon. It's nothing to worry about. I just have to go to work, but feel free to do whatever you want in the apartment. You can watch TV or browse the internet. Actually, do you even know how to do that? Nevermind. Just don't leave the apartment, okay? I'll be back before you know it." You ramble on hoping that he won't ask more questions or bring up how that isn't one of the rules, but you had been too tired last night to think of it.

Jungkook just nods his head, and you're glad he understands. "Okay," he says, though you can tell he wants to ask you something. Probably a lot of things honestly, but it would all have to wait till you got home. For now, you have to go out into the real world and provide the support for not just you but Jungkook now too.

The whole situation is starting to give you headache and for once, you're happy to go to work and escape the castrophe that has become your life.

So many things have changed. From the appearance to Jungkook, and everything that came with him, to Namjoon showing a genuine interest in you, it's all a bit much.

And you have an unsettling feeling that your life is going to become an even bigger mess.

note: i know this update was low-key dull but gotta have some filler chapters to build the plot and to make the characters develop at a good pace. i mean we haven't even really learned about who jungkook really is. like what did that woman mean by a second chance? and then she disappeared? and what's up with namjoon? even he is acting a bit strange. my goal for this book is to have it finished by the end of may or if possible, mid may. idk how many of you are still interested in this story or in any of my future works, but i have got a namjoon fanfic in the making and i think you all might like it so that's something to look forward to once this book is complete 😉 be careful and be safe!