Chapter 33

Silence.

No matter how close he presses himself to a wall, Jungkook is met with nothing but an eerie quiet. There are other sounds, like the buzzing of the light overhead and the traffic outside, but no voices.

What the reaper told him must be true.

He doesn't want it to be, because if it's only Jimin, then that means he's completely and utterly alone.

Jungkook pulls away from the wall his bedframe is pushed against and walks to the door. He knows it's useless, but it's become a routine, the only thing he seems to have any control of.

The incubus has taken everything else away. His mind, his body. The only freedom he has is when that demon leaves him alone, but he knows, after being stuck here for days, that this isn't mercy. Jimin has no idea what the word means.

No, he leaves Jungkook alone to dread the next time he comes for him. As much as he tries to ignore the feeling.

There's never a moment to relax. Jungkook is on high alert all day trying to figure a way out of here in bits and pieces so Jimin doesn't pick up on it.

He's is terrified he might, most especially when the incubus is so close. When he's at his most vulnerable.

Shivering at the thought, Jungkook retreats into his room, hearing absolutely nothing.

Despite the reaper's words, one thing keeps coming back to him. No matter how many times he shoves the thought away, it's always there in the corners of his mind.

Hoseok, where are you?

He knows it's the last thing he should be thinking, but Hoseok is his only chance for escape. If he could just figure out where he went after Jimin brought him here.

The door suddenly pries open, squeaking on its hinges. The sound makes Jungkook take two hurried steps back. His heart drops.

Jimin stands there, eyes in a piercing glare. He's furious. Jungkook can feel it.

After every time the demon has touched him, reading his feelings has become second nature. It's almost like they're his own. He can barely tell the difference the anymore.

"Stop it."

The words come out so low, Jungkook barely hears them. He takes another step away, not understanding what Jimin means.

"After the past week, I thought you would've learned by now, Kook." This time the demon's voice is louder. Stronger. "It's like you want to be tortured."

Jungkook sucks in a shuddering breath.

"Are you starting to enjoy it?" Jimin walks into the room, shutting the door behind him. He saunters toward Jungkook until he's a breath away, gaze dark and narrow. "You must be with all these thoughts you're having. It certainly would be more fun if you were awake."

He tries to keep his mind blank even though his body is quick to react.

The incubus takes in his widened eyes and frozen stance. "You really should've done your research, Kook, but I guess I can't blame you. There's so much lore out there, you don't know what's true.

"If you're wondering, you haven't been asleep this whole time. This room is very much real. As is the bed."

There's a slight undertone to his voice, one Jungkook doesn't miss. Because even if he was dreaming right then, that's where he would be. Lying there, exposed and defenseless.

He needs to wake up, but how?

"You're curious." Jimin hums, seeming intrigued by it. "That's new."