Confession (1)

Levi Pov

I woke up to the sunlight poking at my eyes, the bone-chilling cold replaced with what I could only describe as healing warmth. A cool, small hand held my own and my head rested against something firm- but not firm enough to be a tree root. A woollen cardigan was draped over me, my body having been moved to lie properly on the ground.

Normally, I would've been appalled at the fact that I was lying on the open forest floor. But the fact that I was lying on someone's lap out in the middle of a fucking forest made me wonder what was going on.

"Awake, sleeping beauty?" A familiar voice, one that I wasn't ready to hear so soon, teased me.

"Lexi...?" My voice, gravelly and cracking from hours of unuse and being in the cold, echoed lightly.

"Come on. You're freezing. Let's get you inside. Breakfast will begin in an hour-"

"How'd you find me? How long have you been here?" I cut Lexi off, sitting up hurriedly.

I was lying on her lap-

"I was out for my morning run and tripped over you. I've been here... half an hour? Wait, I should be the one asking questions!! What are you doing here, all alone and curled up like a teenager going through depression?"

I grimaced at her description of me, but I had to admit that she was rather on point.

".....Thinking."

"Are you worried about the Mission? Or the Expedition, perhaps? I'm here to talk if you want to talk about it, you know."

"...Tell me about your family. Your parents."

"All of a sudden?" Lexi blinked, surprised.

"My dad's a Professor and my Mom's a Doctor. My dad fell in love with her during her conference and chased after her for quite a while. She eventually gave in. They got married and had me and my older brother."

I guess a "conference" is a teaching method or a meeting of sorts, I guessed, nodding. Both of her parents were highly educated people- unsurprisingly. High education usually meant that they made money, too. I wasn't sure of what Lexi's original world was like, but it couldn't be too different when it came to monetary terms and their importance.

"Dad's calculating and rather cold, while my mom is... rather eccentric. She's quite open about a lot of things and my dad just kinda follows along. But they value my happiness over their wants, so... I think they'd like you."

I stiffened. Her parents... liking me? A person from nowhere? A nobody?

...As wonderful as that sounds, it probably won't happen.

"But I have nothing. Nothing but death on my hands, and a place in the military."

"You have me," Lexi replied, chuckling.

"Plus, who doesn't have blood on their hands in this world?" She continued, shrugging.

My heart warmed, mind settling as Lexi gave me a confident smile. Her fingers interlocked with mine, thumb grazing gently over my hand ever so gently and reassuringly. God, what wouldn't I give to be able to be by you- to wake up by your side every day.

But you'll be leaving one day.

You have a home to return to.

I don't want to be the reason for you to stay here, in this hellhole of a world.

"Come on, let's go get you warmed up; breakfast should start soon," Lexi stated, getting up from her spot.

I found myself missing the coolness of her hand against mine the moment she let go. Getting up and dusting myself off, I put the cardigan back over her shoulders, noticing that she was only wearing a long-sleeved shirt along with her pants and shoes.

"Thanks," She said, putting the cardigan back on.

It was faint, but I could see that the dark circles under her eyes had become more prominent compared to yesterday. Taking her face into my hands, I rubbed the dark circles with my thumb to make sure that she wasn't covering them with makeup. Her wide lavender irises stared back at me in surprise, our noses almost touching.

"Did you stay up last night?"

"Uhh..."

"I told you to sleep early."

"Says the person who stalked off and fell asleep in the middle of the fucking woods." Lexi scoffed.

"I had a reason for that."

"Uh-huh."

As we walked out of the forest together, a familiar, tall brunette male screeched almost instantly. I could only let out a huff and try not to roll my eyes.

"LEXXXXXXIIIIII"

Lexi waved back with only part of the enthusiasm, obviously too tired to be as cheerful as the childish male so early in the morning.

"Why do you have such an angry face?"

"I started thinking about how annoying that clingy squad member of yours is," I grunted.

"YOU HAVE A LETTTTTTTEEEEERRRRR" Ron hollered, waving a couple of letters in the air for her to see.

Lexi's eyes brightened, a huge smile overtaking her lips as she ran towards Ron without another word. My heart pinched at the sight of her leaving me behind- and into the arms of Ron.

~~~ /// ~~~ \\\ ~~~

Some fluff for our angry French man.

4/19/2021

2.5 pages, 867 words