Chapter 7

"He says he doesn't remember who he is or where he came from. And now you are saying he is our summer school substitute teacher? This doesn't make any sense," said Glenn.

"Nothing at this school makes any sense," said Mrs. Lavinia. "But we may be able to use this to our advantage. Let's keep him in our pocket, so to speak, and see if he might divulge sensitive information in our war."

Robert and Glenn hightailed it back to Glenn's. Mr. Arthur was not in the house. They found him standing on the beach, staring at the ocean.

"Hey! We know who you are. He showed him the picture. "Your name is Mr. Arthur."

"Is that my first or my last name?"

 "I think it's your first name. It would be weird if you had the same last name as me. You are supposed to teach us summer school. You work for our school - apparently."

"Arthur" took the paper. "Apparently so. I still don't remember. A unit on the ocean? I can do that, and I could use some money to repay your mom for being so kind. And please, call me Arthur."

"Yeah, about that, Arthur. It's not appropriate for a teacher to live with his student. You will have to get a motel."

There were three motels in town. Arthur wanted the one closest to the water.  That was The Sand Dollar Motel. They checked him in and told the confused clerk to bill it to Lovecraft Middle School. 

"Well, I'm sure you need to make lesson plans and whatever," said Glenn. They left him staring out the window at the shore. 

"Problem solved," said Glenn. 

"And just in time," said Robert. "We start school tomorrow."

When Mrs. Torkells came home, she asked if her guest was walking on the beach. When Glenn told her he was the summer school teacher, and was at The Sand Dollar now, her face fell a little.

"It's for the best, though, right Mom? He can't stay here if he is our teacher."

"Of course, of course." She pushed her hair off her forehead. "Set the table. For two."

"Absolutely." Glenn was grinning ear-to-ear.

////

Robert wanted to see Karina. Mr. Arthur worked for the school. He should be able to get Robert in. His tummy was full of butterflies. There was so much he wanted to say to her. To explain. He did not want her mad at him. On the other hand, he didn't want the school to know "Mr. Arthu"r had amnesia. If patterns served correctly, the new teacher was some kind of monster in disguise, with the goal of trapping their souls in little clay vessels while their bodies were repoed. Sitting on the edge of his bed, he shook his head in frustration. Seeing Karina would have to wait.

TO BE CONTINUED