Chapter 15

Robert and Glenn burst through the Torkell's front door. She was having coffee with Robert's mom. "Mom, we have to go. Let's pack the car and get out of here."

Mrs. Torkell put her hand on her chest. "Honey, you frightened me."

"What's going on?" said Mrs. Arthur.

"Sheriff Underwood is dead," said Glenn. "Mr. Arthur went missing in the middle of our lesson at the motel. Mom, he's dangerous."

Glenn went to the closet and pulled out a large duffel bag. He started crazily throwing things in there: a flashlight, jackets, sleeping bag, batteries.

"He's right," said Robert. "I tried to tell you there is something really wrong at Lovecraft High. It wasn't just my imagination."

The women were stunned. "What happened with the Sheriff," said Mrs. Arthur.

"On the beach," said Robert, pulling packaged food from the cupboard into a bag. "We didn't look. But it sounded pretty bad."

Glenn zipped up the bag. "Let's move out."

The mothers stood up. "Boys, just wait - "

"If you don't drive us, I will!" shouted Glenn.

It was late but still light as they drove down the highway. "Motel at the next exit," said Mrs. Arthur. "Why don't we stop - "

"Too close. Keep going," said Glenn. The women exchanged worried looks.

"Let's pass a few more exits," said Robert. "Then we can stop."

In the back seat, the boys watched like hawks out the back window. No one had followed them.

"Turn on the radio," said Glenn. They listened to the car radio but there was no news of any sheriff meeting his demise.

"It's a blackout. The school probably controls the radio station. We need information."

"That I can agree with," said Mrs. Arthur. "We do need to know what's going on." She looked at Mrs. Torkells. "Can you try to call Arthur?"

Mrs. Torkells pinched her lips together. "Mmm-nnn. He doesn't have a cell phone. We should call the motel." Mrs. Arthur dialed the number from her cell phone. "That's strange. Let me try again." She dialed again and then pressed the disconnect button. "It says the number is not in service at this time."

Robert and Glenn looked at each other. "Mom, can you turn off your cell phone?"

"But - "

"Please. Just humor me."

Mrs. Torkells gripped the steering wheel. "We've been humoring you. Both of you were so upset. But we need to talk when we get to a hotel." Mrs. Arthur powered off the phone.

"That's right," said Glenn. "We can't go back without a plan."

TO BE CONTINUED