Chapter 13

"Mrs. Lavinia. We want you to meet someone. Her name is Karina, and well, you better sit down." Mrs. Lavinia sat down. Mo opened the trap and kicked open a carpet that unrolled. "Laser EMF grid. It will sustain her. Ready?" He stepped on the pedal that opened Karina came out in a silhouette of light.

"Oh!" shrieked Mrs. Lavinia.

"This is my girlfriend, Karina. She has been trapped in the school since 1984. Karina, this is Mrs. Lavinia. She is a spy for - "

"Robert, stop. Think. Who is this man? How do you know you can trust him?"

Mo stepped forward "Ma'am, my name is Mo. Maybe you've seen me on Cable Access Channel 8?"

"I don't watch TV," she said. But she took his hand and shook it.

"I don't know if I can," admitted Robert. "But he's the only way Karina could get out. He's already been to the school."

"Karina, I'm sorry. Where are my manners? You know I was raised in the South, but these northern places sometimes make me forget. I am very happy to meet you. I can't imagine what you've been through."

 Karina's lower lip trembled. Tears started flowing and she flew to her, wrapping her arms around her. But they went right through.

Watching, Robert teared up.

"I don't want to go back," wailed Karina.

Mo went into the kitchen and made coffee. He handed out cups. "I figure we're going to need it."

Mrs. Lavinia said, "You just went in my kitchen without asking?" She took a sip. "My, this is wonderful."

"I was raised in the South, too, ma'am. My grandma's recipe."

She drank more and set the china cup back in the saucer. "Well. It seems the war has turned in our favor. Karina. No one is going to make you go back. But we surely could use your help. No one else can move undetected through the school, no one can see and hear all that happens. Will you help us?"

Robert held his breath. After a very long pause, she said "I will."

Mo's phone dinged. He looked at his phone and cursed. He turned on the TV. The newscaster said that the man reported missing from the ocean had been found – what was left of him. And two more people had vanished. The power was still out. Portable generators had sold out. Only those homes or businesses prepared with one - like the one they were in - had electricity. The news had done nothing to deter the crowds on the beach. If anything, there were even more people. The local ice cream and candy shops already had generators and were doing a booming business. The only good news was a small possibility of a storm, which might lower the temperature.

"We need you to keep an eye on a new teacher named Arthur. If he comes to the school, we need to know who he meets with and what he says. Here's his photo."

Karina looked at it. "Oh, I already was. He's super dreamy! He was meeting with Principal Slater. Slater was asking him if he understood what he was there to do. Dreamboat – I mean Mr. Arthur – said he just wanted to go home. Slater said he would as long as 'the objective' was met. I don't think they made much progress. I got bored and left. Can I keep the picture of him?"

That was very interesting. They left shortly afterwards, Karina back in the trap box and Mo promising not to say anything and also to help in any way.

When Robert and Glenn got home, their moms told them they were going to stay at the Sand Dollar Motel because it had air conditioning. They drove up. Arthur was waiting outside. He had a silly grin and so did Beth. Robert looked to see if Glenn was glowering. He wasn't.

"Hi boys, I'm feeling much better. We're going to have a lesson in the conference room later after we've all had dinner; my treat. I've made a Power Point presentation and I have some extra surprises."

"I thought you didn't know how to use the Internet," said Glenn.

"Well, I had some help. He looked at Beth and they just grinned at each other.

This day was getting more and more interesting, thought Robert to himself.

He took the duffel bags from the car and went to their room. Inside on the bed was a letter with his name on it. He opened it. It read:

Robert I have analyzed the slime. It is from a sea creature, but not any known one. It is alien, yet has traces of human DNA. The closest thing would be like The Creature From the Black Lagoon Be very careful. - W. 

TO BE CONTINUED