Chapter 11

"No class today," said Robert's mom. "Mr. Arthur called and said he isn't feeling well. You kids may as well go to the beach. Maybe you can find something for extra credit."

The beach was even more crowded than before. A few busloads of tourists had arrived. The ice cream and fudge shops and seafood restaurants down by the wharf were popping. Robert and Glenn waited in a long line for an ice cream cone.

They walked down the beach, with a riot of colorful umbrellas poking out of the sand like psychedelic mushrooms. People sat on towels, coolers full of cold drinks on the sand. Kids ran around shrieking. The kids seemed the only ones unaffected by the heat.

The water was full of people. Robert and Glenn went swimming and played on boogie boards. They rode waves, laughing when the other got a mouthful of salt water. For a few hours, they completely forgot about school.

Then they heard the screams. 

"My husband! He went under! Roger!"

A lifeguard blew on his whistle. He ran into the water, scaring little kids who began to cry and lurch towards shore. Holding his red board, the lifeguard dove in where the woman was pointing. He also stayed down a while. He came up for air and went back under. A crowd began to gather. The lifeguard came back up and shook his head. There was no one there.

Two ladies consoled the wife. The lifeguard called it in.

Sherriff Underwood trundled onto the beach. "Ma'am, did anyone else see your husband go under?" No one had. There were no witnesses. "I'm telling the truth," she sniffled. "Why don't you believe me?" Sherriff got her calmed down and sent her home, telling her to call if Roger showed up.

Robert and Glenn listened quietly as the lifeguard talked with the sheriff. No, there were no undercurrents. No, they were not going to close the beach. Couldn't, with all these people seeking relief from the heat. 

"Hello, boys." The Sherriff nodded to them as he walked back to his car. They watched as he scraped slime off his shoes.

////

The boys were at Glenn's house after having dinner. Beth was in the living room watching the news.  Robert told Glenn all about Karina's idea. "There is a local guy who does ghost detection. He's really weird but maybe he could help. His commercial comes on about this time." They waited until the commercial came on TV, and wrote down the number. They called. "Mo's Mystery Machine. This is Mo." 

"Hi, um, my name is Robert Arthur. We know where a ghost is and we need to help her. It's a long story but you may be the only one who can help her. Yes, I can meet you now with my friend."

An old van from the 70's coughed and choked up the street. MO'S MYSTERY MACHINE was painted in bright orange letters on the side. A fat man got out, his shirt not covering his round belly.

"Where is she?"

"Not so fast. First, what have you got for equipment?" He threw open the doors.

"Wow." The dirty old van had state of the art equipment. "EMF Meter, Full Spectrum Cams, EVP Recorder, TriField Meter, Laser Grid, Infrared Nightvision. Does that answer your question?"

TO BE CONTINUED