Chapter 4

"What? Mom!" said Glenn.

"Only for a few days," said Glenn's mom. "He'll sleep on the couch."

Robert couldn't believe Mrs. Torkells. He was sure his mom would quash that idea.

"I think that's a great idea, Beth."

"What? Mom!" said Robert.

"He's really a nice man and he has no where else to stay. I'll try to locate his family while he's staying with you."

Thirty minutes later, the stranger had been released by the station. He walked out to the car and got in the back. As the Torkells drove away, Glenn shot Robert a "help me" look. Robert held his thumb and pinky up to his ear in a "call me" sign.

It had seemed to get even hotter outside, even though it was afternoon and past the peak of the day. 

Tap, tap !

Robert was startled by a face at the car window: pale, waxy skin pulled tight over gaunt cheekbones. It was the terrifying face of Crawford Tillinghast. 

"Aaaahhhh!!" But it wasn't Crawford.

It was Florence, owner of the gas station and convenience store. She was a nosy senior citizen peering through tortoiseshell cat-eye glasses she wore on a long chain. 

"Oh no," muttered Robert. When Florence wanted to talk to you it was impossible to extricate yourself.

"What are you screaming for; I'm old but not deaf. What did you boys find on the beach?  What was wrong with him? Where did he go? I'm not so keen on drifters hanging around town all summer long. Shoplift from my store, they do, so much so I stopped carrying beer. Why don't you stop in for ice cream on the house and tell me all about it?"

"We're tired, Flo. It's been a long day. Raincheck?" said Mrs. Arthur.

Flo's face fell as she realized she wasn't going to get the scoop. "Not that it's going to rain anytime soon," grumbled the old lady as she walked off.

"Phew. Thanks, Mom."

They drove home, just as the sun was beginning to set and the sky looked like sherbet melted across the sky in colors of pink and orange. 

Ice cream really did sound good. 

TO BE CONTINUED