Chapter 2: One-Sixth Of The Most Destructive Force in the Universe

*Ben Tennyson*

" Grandpa, meet our friend, Alex," I said. Alex stood in front of our grandfather with her arms behind her back and teeth biting her lip.

" Um, hello, Mr. Tennyson," she said nervously, which I found odd. Alex definitely didn't seem like the type to get nervous around adults. Probably because she wanted Grandpa to like her. Wonder why that was. . . .

" Oh please, call me Max," said Grandpa with a smile. Alex looked like about five-hundred pounds had been lifted off her shoulders. She actually breathed a small sigh of relief.

" She's got a big problem that will probably threaten the entire universe," I said.

" Yeah. It's all my fault," she said guiltily. She played with a lock of her long hair in her fingers.

" What happened?"

" For it all to make sense, I have to start at the beginning. How long do you have?"

" All day. I told Ben's folks him and Gwen would be spending the afternoon with me," said Grandpa. I grinned.

" Score!"

" Well, I was at a boarding school, kinda like an academy where they teach you magic. I discovered my powers when I turned ten years old. And that's when the teachers came. They told me they could teach me to control my magic.

I accepted, because for some reason I was naturally born with more magic powers then anyone else they had seen in over three thousand years. I uncovered you're world by accident, on the day Ben found the Omnitrix. That how I know all about you." She turned to look at me. " Oh, and by the way, you owe me one." I was confused.

" What are you talking about?"

" I really only expected a little thank you at for all the trouble I went through."

" Why would I owe you for a stunt you pulled?"

" Well, it would be nice to at least have a thank you for making the greatest thing in your entire life happen to you."

" Huh?"

" Was the Omnitrix falling at your feet the greatest thing that ever happened to you?" She asked impatiently.

" Yeah. Not seeing what this has to do with anything though." Gwen facepalmed.

" Didn't you ever wonder why the watch changed direction at the last second when it was headed directly above you? That's because I changed the DNA signature. THE Omnitrix went after you thanks to me."

" No way!" I said. " Azmuth said it was because I had Grandpa's DNA inside me that it landed in the forest with me," I argued. Alex rolled her eyes.

" Azmuths scanners were way too advanced to be able to mess up on somebody with DNA that close to Max's. They would've gotten a little confused at best, but without me using a spell to change the DNA signature of the pod, it would've passed harmlessly over your head and went straight for your grandfather.

The only unexpected part was the fact that it changed direction so dramatically. I think some meteor or something hit it while it was in the process of analyzing the nearest route to your location. I was doing algebra homework at the time." I gaped at her.

" That was really cool of you. I can't possibly thank you enough." She smiled at me.

" Whoa, whoa, hold on. Algebra?! Aren't you only eleven years old?" Gwen exclaimed.

" Eleven and a half, actually. But whatever. Yeah. I'm in advanced placement for English, too. My real GPA says I actually should've been in eighth grade last year." She was gaping.