Chapter Eight

Flashback

Clementines P.O.V

"Come on Sam" I tease as I run past him again, Steve a few yards ahead of me "you guys have been doing this for the past year, we get it! you're faster than me" Sam groans as he slows down. I skid to a stop and jog back to him "you okay?" I ask rubbing his back as he wheezes. He gives me the thumbs up "Clem it's your birthday and you've made me go running! I just wanted some damn cake" Sam groans as Steve joins us, a wide grin on his face "you okay pal?" I shake my head smiling. Sam straightens up and rolls his eyes "come on man, I'm done running. Let's go get some birthday breakfast." he huffs walking away from Steve and me. I chuckle looking up at Steve "maybe we should let him beat us?" Steve rests his arm on my shoulder and shakes his head.

"Steve, seriously just try it" I beg, holding my cup up to him. Steve takes a whiff of the contents before finally taking a sip, his face lights up as he takes another sip "that's good, what is it?" I take my cup back before he can gulp down the rest "it's a caramel macchiato, I told you you'd love it" I exclaim. Sam sits down opposite us, a giant stack of pancakes on his plate "carefully Sammy, you'll choke" I scold as he shovels another forkful into his mouth. Steve leans over to me with a smile "this is why he can't outrun us" I burst out laughing as Sam glares playfully at us. He sets his fork down and crosses his arms over his chest "fine, then I guess I'll have to return your birthday gift" he threatens.

Over the last few years, Sam had become one of my best friends. He was my family. He and I shared the same kind of relationship that Nat and Clint shared, that Steve and I shared. The Avengers are my family but Sam and Steve were the ones I shared the deepest connection to.

"Oh yeah, you wouldn't dare" I tease back, Sam chuckles pulling a small red and black velvet box from his pocket, a beautiful white bow on top. He sets it on the table and pushes it towards me, I raise my brow at him "what's this?" I ask softly, lifting the box into my hands. Sam smiles "well, you love the necklace that Steve got you, so I figured I'd get you something similar" my hand automatically feels for the dainty silver necklace that hung around my neck. Steve had bought me it after we fought against Loki. It was a small silver pendant, shaped and designed to be a mini version of his shield. A reminder of our friendship.

"Sam, you shouldn't have" I whisper, he smiles brightly at me "I wanted to. Happy Birthday Clem" I open the box to see a small pendant shaped like his falcon wings. My heart exploded. "I love it Sam. Thank you" Steve unclipped the necklace from my neck and helps me slid the new pendant onto the chain. Two reminders of my two favorite people in the world.

Present time

Clementine's P.O.V

John ran.

He grabbed the shield and ran from the crowds of people, away from all the cameras.

"Come on" Sam rushes, nudging me away from the gruesome scene towards the direction John had gone. Bucky stalked ahead, taking off in a sprint to find him. His whole body stiff with anger. I took one last look at the bloodied body, squeezing my eyes shut before sprinting after Sam.

We followed him across an old train platform before he slipped into an abandoned warehouse, filled with forklifts and machinery. John dropped down to his knees, his head in his hands. Bucky nods to Sam as we slip in and walk towards him. I take a few extra steps towards him  "John?" I call out softly. John lifts his head to look at me, he stands up and makes his way over to me "you should see a medic Clem, you don't look so good" he mumbles looking over at my bloodied side. John starts to pace, almost circling me as he does.

"Stop, Walker" Sam warns, John huffs turning to face him "what? you saw what happened, you know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to. He killed Lemar" he shouts, his voice echoing off the walls. Bucky steps forward shaking his head "he didn't kill Lemar, John. Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well." he tries to reason. John grits his teeth and spins on his heel to look at Bucky, pointing his finger at him "I'm not like you" he growls out. I move to stand directly in front of Bucky, John's eyes shoot down to me and they soften "look we don't want anyone else to get hurt John" I murmur.