Chapter Twelve

Clementine's P.O.V

"Yes" Bucky declares.

"No" I state at the same time.

Both of us freeze.

"No?" Bucky questions raising his brow at me and crossing his arms over his chest, tilting his head. I glance around as my brain works overtime for an answer "I just thought.....we haven't talked about.....you know" I trail off, stuttering as I glance up a Bucky's amused expression. "Awkward" John mumbles a wide grin on his face as he watches Bucky and I. 

I open my mouth to speak when a few gasps sound from the crowds behind us, we turn to see Sam. Karli is draped across his arms as he flies through the sky, gently landing in the center of the crowd and placing Karli's lifeless body on a stretcher. "Come on" I whisper, tugging on Bucky's sleeve. We make our way through the crowd, stopping next to one of the ambulances while questions are thrown at Sam by reporters. Bucky leans his side against the ambulance behind me, I gently lean back against his chest and his metal arm wraps around my middle.

"Sam, thank you so much, from all of us" Ayla gushes as Sam approaches her "sincerely. You did your part in dealing with those terrorists, now we'll do ours" the Senator adds confidently. Sam's eyes darken as he stares at the people in front of him "you've gotta stop calling them terrorists" he snaps shaking his head. "What else would we call them?" Senator argues back. 

Tears fill my eyes as I listen to Sam's speech, his compassion, and his belief in humanity. 

He is Captain America. Not the perfect soldier but a damn good man, with a good heart.

I tilt my head up to look at Bucky, my heart swells at the unshed tears in his eyes as he watches and listens to Sam. I lean further back, pressing a gentle kiss to his throat.

"You've gotta do better, Senator. You've gotta step up because if you don't,  the next Karli will. People believed in her so much, they helped her defy the strongest governments in the world. Why do you think that is?" Sam exclaims, looking at the Senator for an answer. When he doesn't receive one he shakes his head and continues "look, you people have just as much power as an insane god or a misguided teenager. the question you have to ask yourself is, how are you gonna use it?"

Sam turns around searching for us when his eyes meet mine his shoulders ease up and a small look of relief washes over him, he makes his way over to us. I look up at Bucky and he gives me a smile, nodding his head towards Sam and letting me out of his grip. I walk towards Sam, meeting him in the middle "Hey Captain" I say standing on my tippy toes to pull him into a hug, my arms wrap around his waist and his head rests on mine "I tried to get her to stand down" he mutters against my hair. I pull away from him "if anyone could have talked her out of it, it would have been you, Sam. You did everything you could, you're a good man and I'm so glad you're my best friend" I tell him, a reassuring smile on my lips.

"Thank you, Clem. For everything, for doing this with us, for being always being there. You're my family" Sam grins at me, his eyes glancing over my shoulder in Bucky's direction. "You're my girl" he adds with a teasing smile. I roll my eyes playfully and turn away from him, walking back towards Bucky, Sam following behind me.

"Sorry I was uh, texting and so all I heard was 'black guy in stars and stripes'" Bucky chuckles with a proud smile as he turns to looks at Sam, I giggle at them. "Nice job, Cap" Bucky praises, his hand resting on Sam's shoulder, giving in a squeeze. Sam looks at Bucky and I could see the love in his eyes for his partner "thanks."

We begin to walk away from the chaos, I notice Sharon up ahead, leaning against a car with a bloody towel pressed to her abdomen "Sharon?" I rush forward taking the towel from her hands, and crouching down to my eye line is level with her stomach "blocking my light" she teases but winces when I press the towel back against her wound. I roll my eyes at her "we gotta get you to a hospital Sharbear" I mutter, the old nickname slipping from my lips. "She's not gonna listen" Bucky grumbles, standing behind me with his arms crossed over his chest. She smiles down at me "It's not the worse thing to happen to me all week."