Chapter 9 - Amani

Yesterday I talked to Ya Hamid about finding a house help for us, or at least bringing someone from our family house to help me with the chores.

Actually, it was because of my school. Apparently, I would be going out early and coming back late these days. So I guess I needed a house help or someone to help me while I am off to school.

Instead of Ya Hamid to think deeply about it, he took it all wrong and told me I was on my own. Which means if things went bad I should have myself to blame.

Anyways I was willing to take the risks involved so I went on to call one of my cousins, Safiya. She was the daughter of our late uncle, now living with our grandmother in our family house.

"Hello, Aunt Amani" She said as soon as she picked the call. I was literally few months older than her.

"Hi Safiya, ya dai (how far)?" I said.

"I am fine, Alhamdulillah. And you?" She said.

"Same here, though I am starting school today. Kuma gaskiya (and truth be told) I would be needing some help here in my home" I said beating around the bush.

"Help kuma?" She asked.

"Yes, Safiya" I replied with a gulp. "Can I count on you?" I continued. "All I need is someone to help me out with the house chores while I am off to work"

"Hmm," she heaved a sigh. "Aunt Amani kenan" She continued. "I would like to help gaskiya (truly) but will Kaka (grandma) ever agree? You know that old woman ai, she likes seeing me around"

"Eh, haka fa (yes, indeed)!" I sighed as well. "Sai dai nazo kenan bayan lectures (till I come after school), I will talk to her myself In Shaa Allah. If she agrees then I will take you with me. But if she doesn't, then I will take Karimah or Zainab instead"

"Alright Aunt Amani, sai kin zo (till you come)" She said.

"Yauwa, Safiya (alright)" I ended the call.

...

After preparing for school, I fetched some food into a foodflask and then carried two bottles of water with me from the freezer in case my stomach growls while in school.

You know, I wouldn't be coming back home soon therefore I ought to take something (i.e food) with me.

Ya Hamid only sighed when I told him I was leaving, he was actually indifferent and since I didn't want any trouble I decided not to bother him.

Thus, I walked out to the parking lot and met Yazid already waiting for me. "Good morning, madam" He greeted me with a broad smile.

"Morning," I responded. "Let's go!" I ordered.

"Alright ma" He said opening the door for me. I mean, that of the back passenger seat. Of course that one!

And just as I hopped into the car, he shut the door off and then hopped in as well, through the driver's side. "Bismillah" He said as he started the car.

"Next time, complete it" I said while staring at his reflection through the rearview mirror.

"Huh?" He wrinkled a brow at me, through the same mirror.

"Yes, it's better to say it in full. Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim (In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful)" I corrected him.

"Well, okay ma but one can also say Bismillah only which means in the Name of Allah" He said as he began driving.

"If you say so!" I rolled my eyes at him and folded my arms across my chest.

I didn't just know why I disliked him, I also didn't trust him. If only I could have him replaced before he kidnap me one day, though he could drive better than Ya Hamid.

Throughout the drive, just like yesterday when we went for shopping, he kept glancing at me every now and then through the rearview mirror and whenever I caught him he would smile and look away.

Perhaps I looked funny to him, or maybe Ya Hamid told him something funny about me. Well, whatever the case might be I didn't really care!

...

We arrived at my school some minutes later, thus he parked in the parking lot and asked me when he should come back and pick me up.

"Before 4pm!" I responded alighting from the car.

"Alright ma, till I come" He said beaming at me like the idiot he obviously was.

I didn't say anything more to him, I only packed my loads and left.

Giving him attention will make him continue with his childishness, but if I keep on ignoring him he will learn to behave in my presence! I thought to myself.

In An-Noor College of Health Technology, every department has its classes. For example, we that are studying pharmacy have our own building with each level given their own classes.

We were not many, you know? So that wasn't really a big deal. In my class, we were just 53. Which means the whole freshers (new intake) in our department were 53.

However, those in 200level were said to be less than that. Could you just imagine that? Well the thing is, when you don't read or perform well you would be withdrawn according to our head of department.

His name was Mallam Khalil and he was the one that gave us the first lecture. He told us a lot about school life and how we must be very serious with our studies because their school is not after students' money but quality education.

He also made mention of weeding examination which would be taking place soon, the examination would determine those that were ready to study in the department and those that weren't.

Once someone failed the weeding examination, the person would be withdrawn automatically. Albeit the person could apply again but that would be another year.

After the lecture, we got to learn about each other in our class. And just like secondary school, everybody was expected to have his or her seat. I happened to sit in the same seat with a Niqabite, Lateefah Abdulwasiu by name.

The males in the class were just 7, and had grouped themselves in the back seats. It was better that way, at least we wouldn't have people like Yazid disturbing our peace.

***************

Hmm, another update.

Please manage it, I know it's rough.

Thanks for reaching 💖