Chapter 26 - Hamid

These days I was so busy with Yazid's issue that I forgot about Rahmat's battle. Anyways, we appeared on court today and I could say the case was under control.

The judge adjourned it to 15th of this month, hopefully the culprits would be put behind bars soon. I just couldn't wait for that day so Rahmat could be free.

Media had already started picking interest in the topic and some had already began pointing hands on the culprits for what happened that unfavorable night.

Rahmat was so happy that she hugged me after leaving the courtroom, hopefully no pressman is present at the location...we were in the parking lot. "Thank you so much!" she said.

"For what?" I asked as I gently pulled away from the hug.

"For everything, Hamid!" She said with tears rolling down her cheeks, tears of joy. "I... I don't know how to pay you back for all the things that you've done to me" she sniffed.

"Oh, common, you don't need to pay me back. By the way, you are welcome!" I said smiling at her.

"Am I missing something here?" Barrister Khadija walked to us with her wig and black gown.

"No, you aren't!" Rahmat scuttered over to her and hugged her. "Thank you, Khadija. Thank you so much for all the efforts, and for everything!"

"Don't thank me yet, wait until the case is over" Barrister Khadija said as they gently pulled away from each other. "By the way, what's your plan about the pressmen?" She continued. "I won't advise you to talk to any of them just yet"

"Yes, Hamid told me to ignore them until the case is over" Rahmat said.

"Good, I will see you guys soon. Take good care of yourselves" The barrister said with a smile before biding us goodbye.

"She's a nice woman" Rahmat said as we both watched her drove away with her car.

"Yes she is" I nodded in affirmative.

Just then my phone began ringing. I checked the caller I.D and found out it was Amani.

"Your wife?" Rahmat asked.

"Yeah" I nodded positively before picking the call. "Hello" I said.

"Hi, Ya Hamid. Are you at home please?" Amani asked.

"No, everything okay?" I uttered.

"Yes, actually I thought you were at home that's why I called. I forgot an handout and I seriously need it right now" She said.

"Oh, call Yazid then!" I said.

"Yazid?" She chuckled. "Have you forgotten he's taking Safiya to see his grandmother today? By the way, they left already"

"God! Okay then, I will get it for you. Which handout exactly?" I asked.

"Anatomy, it's on top of the drawer" She replied.

"Okay then" I said and hanged off the call.

"Going somewhere?" Rahmat asked.

"Yes, my wife needs something right now and I need to get it for her" I said storming into my car.

"Awwwn," Rahmat uttered as she stormed into the car as well. "Seems like we've got a Romeo here" she teased.

"Hmm, you won't understand" I said igniting the engine into action.

"Try me! By the way, you are really romantic. I am sure Amani is lucky to have you, you were supposed to be mine" She said as we began driving away.

"Yeah, I would have been yours but you messed up. It took me long to realize it's just the best" I muttered.

"But it's not late to make amendment, right? By the way the world is about to know what happened to me that day wasn't really my fault" She said making me to sigh.

"That doesn't change the fact that my parents will never allow me to marry you, and when I say NEVER I mean never ever. They will never ever allow me to marry you" I said holding the steering wheel of the car firmly.

"They won't but not when we do it secretly, no one has to know. We will breed our kids in secret too, just like in one novel I read" She said and I couldn't help but to laugh.

"Novel? Do you think what works in novels will work in real life?" I shook my head. "Novels are lies composed by writers, just like movies"

"There is a first time for everything, Hamid. If you think this isn't going to work in reality, that's because you didn't give it a try yet. I believe it had worked for others somewhere, after all everything is possible" She said.

"Okay, agreed. But Rahmat you need to know that undercover marriage is not a good thing..." I said as she cut in.

"Says which hadith?" She said rendering me speechless. "Look Hamid," she continued. "you are the only hope I have...can't you help me? What if your sister is the one in this shoes?"

"But why? Why me?" I gulped.

"Because you are the only man that can stay with me for long without harbouring dirty thoughts or making stupid move, other men will always make advance to me as if I am a sex toy or something" She shook her head in perhaps disappointment. "But you, I wonder what kind of a man you are that my beauty doesn't drive you crazy to the point of even touching me"

"That's because I used to control myself, nothing special" I muttered.

"Controlling yourself makes you special, Hamid!" She said. "You are a husband material wallahi" she continued, "I believe Allah brought you back to my life for a reason"

Immediately I dropped her where she was lodging, I drove back home as fast as I could to get Amani her handout. After getting the handout, I drove out in speed.

All that while I couldn't stop thinking about what Rahmat told me, she was right I was different from the rest of the guys she encountered but that doesn't mean I was one of my kind. I am pretty sure there are many other guys like me out there, she just didn't come across one yet.

And about the undercover marriage she spoke about, what if my parents ended up knowing about it? What if they curse me after knowing about it? What if... I sighed not even knowing what to think about anymore. I just hoped and prayed that God should guide me through because I badly needed His guidance.

***************

There you have it.

Happy weekend!