Chapter 23 - Amani

Remember those caps I bought Ya Hamid sometime ago? Well, he had been wearing them ever since. He said he liked them a lot, they were really nice you know? I liked them too.

Anyways, today was a free day for me. No school, no shopping, nothing to do except few house chores.

I had been enjoying my semester break for a week now, it was a month break and in three weeks time we would be back to school. God knows I would add one more week. Lol!

While dusting the chairs and singing my favorite song, Pluto, someone salaamed into the house. It was Safiya and I couldn't help but stop what I was doing and then welcomed her warmly.

After walking her to the couch, I went and brought some snacks and a beverage for her. "Thank you" She said looking worried.

"Is everything okay?" I asked out of curiosity. Thus she heaved a sigh and told me Baba Sagir is trying to hook her with his son, Badamasi. "What? That useless boy?" I squealed.

"Wallahi, and one funny thing is Badamasi has a girlfriend. That strange girl you used to see in our family house whenever you come" She said and I nodded in acknowledgement. "Good, she loves him a lot and he loves her too but Baba Sagir wants him to marry me instead" 

"Did Yaya Tanko knows about it?" I asked.

"Yes he knows but what can he do?" She deadpanned. "They had a meeting yesterday and I heard them saying since I obviously don't have any guy it's better to hook me up with Badamasi"

"Those people!" I shook my head in disappointment. "They thought, since grandma is dead marrying you off is the best thing to do. You should have followed us back here the day we left!" I scolded her.

"It wasn't my fault, I wanted to follow you guys but they told me not to. They also warned me not to say anything about it to you or Ya Hamid" She muttered.

"But why?" I wondered.

"Allahu alam" She shrugged.

"Okay, don't worry" I said taking one of her hands into a clasp. "Now what's the way out? Because I will never advise you to accept Badamasi, that boy is not good for any decent girl. He's better off with girls like my husband's ex"

"You can say that again" She said and smiled a bit. "The thing is," she continued. "I want to bring someone out since my being single is why they want to hook me with Badamasi"

"Okay but do you have someone? Do you?" I asked hoping to hear positive reply from her.

"Well, I... I don't know how to put it. I have someone I am crushing on, I don't know if he's crushing on me too but I think he does" She said making me to scoff. "What?" She glared at me.

"Nothing," I gulped. "So, who's that mysterious guy that stole my cousin's heart?" I sarcastically asked.

"It's..." She paused and covered her face with the other hand I wasn't holding.

"Come on dear, tell me!" I said as curious as I was.

"Okay," She cleared her throat. "It's... Yazid" She voiced out making me to pull gently away from her.

"Which Yazid, my driver?" I asked.

"Ye...es" She stuttered with her head down.

I didn't know when I stood up from the couch and heaved a broad sigh. "When did it started?" I asked trying hard to control myself.

"When I... I was here" She responded, and seeing how stunned I was she decided to continue. "At first it was hate, but then it turned out to be love. I would always look him through the window whenever he's washing the cars or doing something. I would also make sure I gave him enough food"

Her sudden utterance made me to be more shocked the fact that Ya Hamid and I once travelled leaving her and Yazid alone in the house, I just hoped the crazy guy didn't take advantage of her or gave her something to eat so she could fall more deeply for him.

"That day," I said trying not to sound somehow to her. "that Ya Hamid and I travelled to Abuja, did Yazid step his feet into this building?"

"No!" She quickly responded. "He was always in the boys quarters, he had only came out to wash the cars or collect his food. I used to text him whenever the food is ready and he would wait for me outside to collect it"

"So you even have his contact?" I shook my head imagining how far she went without my knowledge. "I don't even know what to say, Safiyah"

"I'm so sorry sister Amani but you need to help me, he's my only chance..." She said as I snapped at her.

"Only chance? You call Yazid your only chance?" I yelled at her. "Well let me remind you, he's my driver and what he's earning is no more than thirty thousand naira. Do you think he can take care of both you and him with that penny? Plus if you start giving birth now things would be hard for him!"

"Even if his salary is N5,000 I don't care, as long as there is shelter and food" She calmly said, surprising me. She was indeed stupid and crazy, at the same time foolish. "I know you hate him," she continued "but I love him, I love him and prefer him above Badamasi"

"You don't understand, Safiyah!" I said as she chirped.

"I do, and I know you don't want me to suffer but I will be better off with him than Badamasi. Please help me Amani, please I beg you" She implored kneeling down in front of me.

"Please stand up" I said as I reached out to her. I had wanted telling her I wouldn't be able to help her but something told me to think deeply about it. "Go home, I will think about it In Shaa Allah"

"Okay" She stood to her feet. "Thank you" She said and then bade me goodbye before leaving.

As soon as she left, I fell wearily into the couch and began thinking extensively about the matter. That day, my lunch nearly burnt.

When Ya Hamid came back in the evening I couldn't bring myself to narrating everything to him. Hopefully, he noticed how weak I was and decided to ask what the matter was immediately we were on the bed.

Without wasting much time I told him everything, thinking he would understand me but he only chuckled and cherished my hair. "It's a good thing she chose him over Badamasi" He said making me to glare at him.

"Don't tell me you are okay with her chosing Yazid!" I muttered.

"Well," He laughed out loud. "What can I say? Do we have any choice? If she has someone other than Yazid she's free to bring him out, we will support her"

"Mtsww" I hissed pulling gently away from him. "You sounds just like her," I rolled my eyes at him as I turned to the other side of the bed. "I don't think any of you have any idea what I fear"

"What do you fear, my love?" He asked drawing closer to me. "Tell me... please" he kissed my bare shoulder. "Is it about Yazid's income?" I ignored him. "Well, if it's about that..." he continued. "I will increase his salary to 60 or 70 thousand, I will also make sure Safiya gets to further her education soon"

His words overwhelmed me, I wasn't really expecting that from him but I also wasn't happy he's supporting the relationship because I didn't trust Yazid. I viewed Yazid as a pervert, I could remember the glances he used to throw me when he was new despite knowing I am his boss's wife.

"Or what do you think?" Ya Hamid asked but I ignored him.

Seeing how uninterested I was with the topic, he quickly changed it.

His new topic however was as boring as the old one. That was how he kept talking to himself until he eventually began feeling sleepy.

Thus, he enfolded me more tightly and kissed me on my cheek with a goodnight before sleeping.

I, on the other hand, would not sleep for the next few hours to come.

My mind was restless. I couldn't bring myself to accepting the fact that Yazid was obviously far better than Badamasi.

I just hoped there was another guy apart from him. I really hoped so!

***************

Late night update, right?

How was it? I hope you enjoyed it?

Well, goodnight... sweet dreams.