Chapter 13 - Amani

After thinking thoroughly about what Lateefah told me, I eventually decided to take her advice. 

I cooked one of Ya Hamid's favourite dishes, dressed humbly and then approached him few minutes after his arrival home.

He was at the dining room eating like a hungry lion, he must have starved himself outside... who knows?

After our greetings, he asked me to sit down which I did. I couldn't believe how calm he was, I thought he would do something that will hurt my feelings but he didn't.

He only told me about a loan which he applied for. "It's a lot of money," he continued. "And I need your assistance"

"My assistance?" I wrinkled my brows. "How?" I asked a bit surprised.

"Actually," He cleared his throat. "The company that wants to give me the loan says I... I have to bring my wife along with me"

"Okay, but..." I said as he cut in.

"Amani please just trust me, we are running low on money and I need to do something before we wake up one day with nothing to eat!" He said more like yelling at me. And after realizing how shocked and sad I was, he heaved a sigh and told me he was so sorry. "I am paranoid that's why" he added.

"It's okay, when are we leaving?" I asked.

"In two days time, In Shaa Allah" He replied.

"Okay, no problem" I nodded my head in acknowledgement.

"Thank you, so much" He said smiling at me.

"You are welcome" I managed to smile back at him.

That day I couldn't sleep at night in time, I kept thinking about the conversation we had. It was nice having a cool dialogue with him which I hadn't had for a very long time, although the part where he yelled at me was kind of annoying.

In the morning we had a pleasant breakfast for once like a family, with Safiya widening her teeth every now and then. She said she was happy we were finally getting along.

I was happy too, but something in me was telling me to becareful. And that made me to wonder if Ya Hamid was just being nice because he needed me to help him get his loan. If that was the case then he was indeed a player and I would never forgive him.

A day before we left to Abuja, I notified Lateefah and the head of our department about the trip.

At first Lateefah couldn't believe me, she thought Ya Hamid and I were just going for honeymoon. I had to explain a bit more to her before she was finally convinced. 

On the day of the trip, Yazid drove us to the airport and in less than 10 minutes we were already at Abuja. You know, it's kinda more faster with plane.

Immediately we headed out of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, we boarded a taxi to our destination. According to Ya Hamid, we wouldn't be spending more than two hours in the screening but guess what?

The screening lasted for several hours and by the time it was over, there was no available flight for us to return back to Minna that same day. Hence Ya Hamid suggested we book a nearby hotel.

It was quarter past 7 in the evening and the streets were already getting crowded with people going about their businesses and security operatives doing their job as well. I loved the magnificent sights of the street lights, they were awesome!

Phoenix Hotel was the only nearby hotel and just as we left Swizz Limited's headquarters we went to the hotel to book two rooms, unfortunately only one was said to be available.

I looked at Ya Hamid to see his expression, he wasn't happy but then what could he do? We were exhausted and the Hotel was the only one in the street hence he booked the available room for us.

Swears, I was so hungry and so was he. We quickly ordered for some fried rice, chicken and drinks. While eating, we talked about the screening and the crazy questions thrown upon us.

"They even had to ask us if we are expecting a baby" I said reminding him of that part as we conversed.

"Yeah" He muttered suspending the smile on his face. I didn't want to provoke him so I changed the topic.

"If we go home, I... I want you to involve me into your business. I want to render all the help I can to see that it's successful" I said as he flexed the muscles of both ends of his mouth a little bit.

"How about your school, I thought you desperately want to further your education?" He said.

"Yes Ya Hamid, but that won't stop me from supporting my... my husband" I said, downplaying the last two words.

Just then, he stared at me for a moment before heaving a sigh. "I think I am okay with this food, can you finish the rest?" He asked.

"We don't have to finish it all, we can keep the remaining ones. Perhaps one of us would need it later" I said looking at him as he stood to his feet. We were actually sitting on the rug, close to a sofa. 

"Okay then" He said and then headed straight to the bathroom.

A minute later he came back with his hands, face, legs, all wet. It was obvious he had went there to perform ablution, and now about saying his prayers.

I, on the other hand, packed our leftover food and kept it on the center table. Thus, I headed to the bathroom and performed ablution too.

After that, I walked over to him and joined him in his prayers. Yes, at the back.

One thing I admired more about him was that even though he wasn't a Hafiz, he had memorized lots of surahs from the Holy Qur'an.

When it was time for bed, he laid on the sofa and asked me to sleep on the bed. Sounds funny, right? Well, he wasn't ready to share a bed with me yet and I clearly understood.

***************

Sorry for the delays, I was adding bonus chapters to Replacement Girl that was why I couldn't update this one in time.

Anyways, expect a new update today In Shaa Allah on this book. Yours lovely, KingMoha.