Chapter 29 - Amani

Few days to Safiya and Yazid's wedding I moved to our family house. I was supposed to help in the wedding preparations but instead, I kept having morning sickness which wasn't normal.

People advised me to return back to my matrimonial home and rest but I refused because I needed some space away from Ya Hamid, a very broad space if I may say.

Ever since he started acting weird in our house everything changed, someone that initially didn't care about conception was now worried about having kids.

I believed there was more to that, he was probably just interested in adding another wife... that's all.

I talked to my mother about it and she told me not to worry, that everything happens for a reason and that whatever Allah does is the best.

Today I was in late Kaka's room where my mother and I lodged for the wedding when I started hearing Ya Hamid's voice outside, he was probably in the compound talking to someone.

As soon as he was done talking outside he Salaamed into where we were and greeted my mother. He also greeted me too and I responded in what seemed like a whisper.

My mother left the room for us and somehow I felt like I was left with a stranger, not my husband.

"Safiya told me you aren't feeling fine, I hope it's not stress or insomnia?" he asked.

"Nothing" I responded.

He was sitting in the armchair close to the bed I sat on.

"Amani" he called out my name, "I know I've changed but trust me whatever I do has a reason" he said and huffed, "I hope you've figured it out already?"

"Yeah," I sighed as well, "what can I say? You've probably seen someone more beautiful than me and you want to marry her. It's fine even though it hurts" I said trying to control the tears in my eyes.

"I am sorry, but that's not just it" he said drawing my attention to him. "The person I want to marry isn't just anyone, it's... Rahmat Ali"

"Rahmat?" I squealed, puzzled.

"Yes, actually she has totally changed now. In fact she'd sued the guys that raped her and they are now behind bars..." he said as I let go of the tears in my eyes. I thought I was hurt but now I felt like 'hurt' was an understatement. He kept talking until he finally reached a full stop. "I am so sorry if my words hurt you so bad, Amani" he added.

"I... i just need some space" I sniffed, wiping off the tears on my face.

"Space?" he asked.

"Yes, some space" I recapitulated.

"Look, Amani" he tried to touch me but I shifted a bit from him.

"Please, just go... please Ya Hamid" I said in what seemed like a whisper.

"Okay but Amani you need to understand that..." he said as I stood to my feet about leaving the room for him when, suddenly, I felt a piercing pain in my head.

"Sub...subhanallah" I stuttered, holding my head. And before I knew it I started feeling dizzy.

The last thing I saw was Ya Hamid getting hold of me and screaming my name, his face dominated by sadness.

I didn't really know what happened but I guess whatever was causing my morning sickness was already crumbling me.

***************

I know this chapter is short but I believe it's better than nothing. I will try and update soon, In Shaa Allah.