Chapter Three

"Everything is ready to go for tonight?" Steve asked turning to his second in command.

"Yes. Guards will be posted at entries and exits, and we also have them posted at rooms throughout the halls as well to make sure any wanders don't get into something they shouldn't." Bucky responded as they walked through the wide halls of the castle together.

"Good. Reliable people at their designated station?" he asked.

"Yes, stop worrying about it." Bucky said halting in his step making his tall broad friend stop as well. "I know why you're drowning yourself in work you know? You do it every time you think about her."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Steve said straight faced before continuing the walk.

"And you say that every time too. God, you are so stubborn sometimes! No wonder you two were always so close!" Bucky laughed smacking his friend's shoulder only getting a glare from him.

"It's been 10 years Buck. I didn't really see her off on good terms. I'm sure she hates me profusely because of me standing her up." Steve sighed.

"You didn't have a choice." Bucky defended.

"There's always a choice. It was whether or not I wanted to spend the rest of my life in the dungeon that made me choose the option I did." he retorted.

"Well, at least this way you'll still be able to see her. In the end I think you made the right choice whether she knows why or not. This is for the better." Bucky reassured him.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Steve nodded noticing Sam coming towards them. "Samuel, you did you're rounds?"

"Yes, everyone is secure and ready to go. Clint and I are going to meet with a few others before getting ready for the evening to make sure the outside security is ready as well." Sam grinned. "The new kid still joining us tonight?"

"Parker?" Bucky asked getting a nod from Sam. "I didn't realize that he was invited."

"Yeah, the king has taken a liking to the kid. He wants us to start training him soon. Practically adopting him as his son he never got." Steve chuckled.

"Nope, instead got two beautiful young daughters." Sam chuckled. "Speaking of which. Have either of you seen Y/N?"

"Uh, no. Have you?" Steve said clearing his throat and blushing slightly at the thought of her.

"Yes, and all I can say is she most definitely grew up." Sam grinned knowing Steve would want to know. "You probably won't even recognize her tonight."

"Personality and all?" Bucky laughed nudging his friend who was concentrated on Sam still.

"Now that, I don't think has changed much." Sam pointed out. "But she grew up looking like the young version of Queen Mara."

"Wow. Mara was one of the most pined for royals back in her day." Bucky smirked.

"Yeah, and I hate to say it, but I think even Y/N may have her beat. Add in the sassy attitude, and you got the whole package." Sam continued.

"Ok gentlemen. That's enough. We have a lot to get done today, and not much time left. Let's finish up our checklist and then get ready for tonight. We have more guests to prepare for than we are used to." Steve said breaking the boys conversation, and trying to push the thought of Y/N away even though that was never fully possible for him.

"Sensitive topic. I'll take note." Sam mumbled. When he looked up he got a stern look from Steve and cleared his throat. "My bad. I'm going to find Peter and Clint."