Chapter Five

What Y/N didn't notice as she was walking back to the party, was that Steve had managed to sneak away from his friends protruding questions that he didn't have the mind to answer right now. Despite his best effort, he has never been one who can stay away from Y/N when she was hurting in any way.

He came out seeing her sitting down with Wanda, and it looked like the redhead was doing a good job of counseling her.

He watched carefully as he saw her wipe a tear away milliseconds after it escaped, and he was so close to running and wrapping her in his arms so she could let it all out if she wanted. But he held off when she heard a giggle and a small, but genuine, laugh at something Wanda said.

Straining his ears, he faintly heard something about being overwhelmed and nervous about the changes that she knew were to come. His heart hurt at that.

She deserves joy and happiness. Not the stresses of getting everything right, when it was far from possible to do that. But she always has wanted so much for their country, and she would stop at nothing to get just that.

Zoned out in thinking of ways to help Y/N feel more at home, he didn't notice that they were moving his direction now. He quickly slipped behind one of the giant pillars out of view from them, but was still able to see a little of them with the limited moonlight showing.

She stopped, looking out into the field. Steve stopped and looked out following her eye line, and it hit him.

Anytime she felt overwhelmed and needed a sense of calmness, and the library was too full, she would go into the field of wildflowers in the forest closer to the back of the kingdom. No one bothered her out there because it was hard to find her. She knew the spots and tree covers that kept her out of sight from anyone trying to bring her back home. Steve was one of the two people who knew those spots too. Her mother being the other. Even Wanda and Nat didn't know about those places.

That's what she wanted. A sense of serenity in the moments of up and down chaos. Those flowers pulled to her, and Steve could feel it. He had the same kind of pull to her. He smiled slightly at the field before turning to her. He watched as she looked up at the moon, gave a subtle smile, closed her eyes taking in the night's energy, and turned back inside.

Once she was inside, he snuck out of his place and placed his hands on his belt. Turning back to the field, a spark in his eyes shined in the low light.

_______

More time went by of greeting people here and there, but Wanda kept her promise of dragging Y/N out of those conversations, and the second half of the party actually was fun for her. She drank, got a little tipsy, but not enough to draw attention, just enough to relax the nerves. She caught up lightly with her friends seeing that they really hadn't changed much. Just had more experience in this thing called life, but still the goofy loons they were. Steve was the only one who was gone the whole time, and never showed his face after that dance.

Eventually the feeling of exhaustion hit her full on and she placed a hand on Nat's shoulder.

"I think I need sleep." Y/N whisper shouted.

"I think you do too. Ready to call it a night?" Nat said supporting her friends weight.

Y/N nodded resting a tired head on her shoulder, but still swaying slightly to the calm music that took over the atmosphere.

"Do you ladies need an escort to your rooms?" Bucky asked Y/N and Nat both.

"I think we got it, but thanks boys." Nat said positioning herself to get a better grip on the Princess.