𝟏𝟔. 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐬

・゚: *・゚:*chapter sixteen —
truth hurts;
1896 words ・゚: *・゚:*

BY THE TIME THE BOYS PULLED INTO THE DRIVEWAY, ANASTASIA WAS ALREADY SITTING ON THE FRONT STEPS OF THE PLACE SHE ONCE CALLED HOME

BY THE TIME THE BOYS PULLED INTO THE DRIVEWAY, ANASTASIA WAS ALREADY SITTING ON THE FRONT STEPS OF THE PLACE SHE ONCE CALLED HOME. She had her head in her hands, evident of her feeling sick. Theodore immediately sprinted from the car, jumping into her arms. Anastasia tightly closed her eyes, relieved the by the boy's presence.

"I missed you, mommy," Theodore said quietly, into the crook of her neck. He tightened his hold on her before letting go.

"It's barely been a day," she said softly. Kneeling next to him on the steps, she brushed the stray hair curls out of his pale face. "I'll make it up to you later."

Anastasia glanced over at her brother who was staring at her with wide eyes. She knitted her eyebrows together, looking at him strangely. Charles, Hank, and Logan got out of the car and stood next to Ivan. They were looking at her strangely as well.

"Hank, do you think...?"

Hank closed his eyes and looked away from Anastasia. It was a peculiar second before he turned back her way and nodded.

"Okay, Theo," Anastasia sighed. "Hank here is going to take you up to your own room and get you situated. I need you to answer any questions he has and be honest."

Theodore nodded and smiled at Anastasia. Hank started up the steps, to the front door. He pushed his keys into the lock and twisted the door open. Theodore followed the scientist into the large house, looking back only once to memorize the expression on his mother's face.

Ivan started up the steps next, walking past Anastasia apologetically. He muttered something under his breath, sounding like a 'sorry,' but it went over Anastasia's head. He followed Hank and Theodore up the stairs of the house.

Anastasia watched them for a moment, waiting until they disappeared down the extensive hallways. She turned her head, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "I tried to find Erik or Raven, but their trail went cold."

Charles rolled his eyes and shook his head. He took his first step forward, onto the front steps of his house. His legs gave way, and he stumbled. He caught his balance, wincing from pain. Anastasia and Logan both reached out for him, but he pushed their hands away. For a second, everything was looking normal for him. He stumbled up the stairs and into the house. He quickly collapsed onto the wooden floor of the foyer.

Immediately, Anastasia was by his side, helping him sit up. "Hey," she said softly, like a kind mother. "What's wrong?"

"I need—" Charles grunted holding out his hand towards the upstairs. "I need my medicine."

Logan, who sprinted into the house the second he heard Charles fall onto the ground, looked at the man disapprovingly.

"That's not medicine, Charles," Anastasia said. She reached out brushing his hair out of his eyes. He grunted again, leaning up against the wooden pillar. "It's an escape; you know that."