𝟐𝟑. 𝐮𝐩 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞

・゚: *・゚:* 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
𝐮𝐩 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞;
𝟏𝟖𝟎𝟗 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬・゚: *・゚:*

・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 —𝐮𝐩 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞;𝟏𝟖𝟎𝟗 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬・゚: *✧・゚:*

ANASTASIA TOYED WITH THE PAPER BETWEEN HER WORN OUT FINGERS. She read over the article again and again. Her eyes were playing tricks on her, weren't they?

"Anya, his family is dead," Ivan said softly, removing the paper from her grasp. "He killed those police officers."

"No," she sighed, "That's not true. He's not like that anymore. He just called me. He—"

Anastasia recalled the short, bitter phone call she received from Erik. He was holding back, she could hear it in his voice.

"He lost his family," she mumbled under her breath.

Ivan sat down on the couch next to her, placing his hand on her thigh. Raven looked down at her, a strange expression painted across her face.

Anastasia's breath shook as she asked the next dreaded question. "What about the Enchantress?"

Ivan shared a glance at Raven.

"We found an old book about her—" Raven reached into her bag on the chair across the room, pulling out a book. It's pages were darken with yellow for centuries of exposure. Some appeared torn on the sides with little gaps from ripped out pages. "It's written in some old language, but it's better than nothing."

Anastasia took the book onto her lap, opening the fragile binding. Within the first few pages, she read of many mystical beings with powers beyond she'd seen of any Mutants.

Her fingers ran nimbly along the corner of the pages, turning them with gentle ease. Finally, her eyes landed on the section containing the Enchantress. She did not find the old language Ivan told her about, it was written in perfect Russian.

"I can read it," she said softly and read aloud.

"The Enchantress travels through dimensions, passing between one reality to another. Within these travels, accompanies a companion. The nameless being is always within a power grab to take the Enchantress's power....

Only a Daughter of Hekate forged into the...witch red...can become the Enchantress. For these mystical beings mixing into one can only lead into Chaos."

"How can you read that?" Ivan asked, looking over her shoulder. Through his eyes, it was complete gibberish. He assumed that it was written in some ancient dialect due to the aged pages.