{1} - Outrage

Brookoff hospital was an imposing and hugely grotesque building amid the other structures around it. The man who had made up its blueprints had nothing but grandeur and luxury in mind, for the place looked less like a hospital and more like a hotel resort.

Rafe De' Notti squinted up, trying to see the very top of the damn skyscraper, wondering how many floors it actually had and wishing he was anywhere but here at the moment.

His boss, Daniel Brookoff, had whisked himself away once again to his island resort to, as he called it 'relax the stress away', leaving him in charge of everything. Which was confusing, considering the man never so much as lifted a pinky to do much of anything so how could he be stressed or god forbid, tired?

The way he saw it, he himself oversaw to the hospital's finances and legal obligations with far more zeal than the owner did. Why, if that man ever really decided to try and run the place, he'd probably run it straight into the ground.

He was good at what he did and Daniel knew that, which was why all of the weight of responsibility fell cripplingly onto his shoulders. He knew that and sought to use that expertise and flay him alive with practically all of the heavy brunt work.

Could the man do anything other than throw everything at him and expect him to do it all?

Why, he barely made it to bed each night before he konked out from utter depletion and exhaustion. Waking up on your neighbor's lawn to the sprinklers pounding icy water down on you is not something he would ever want a repeat of.

More often than not, he couldn't even function so well when he came in for work and ended up ruining reports and data quotas, making for a very upset him when he had to stay at the office late to transcribe and correct all of his mistakes.

He sighed and looked at the doors before him.

If he kept up at this pace, he'd be a walking zombie in no time. How many more eye bags must he acquire before the damn man noticed and took pity on his overworked self. He wouldn't though, of course, for it seemed to him that Brookoff was definitely trying to kill him.

"Ah, just fucking kill me already then, Daniel. You would be putting me out of my misery." He muttered to himself as he walked in through the revolving doors, his eyes taking in the atmosphere, the ambience.

"Not bad, for a frikkin, mountainous building." He muttered again. "But I damn sure wouldn't call this place a hospital."

He began walking, his eyes scanning the different faces passing him by. He wanted to see how it was that they acted when authority wasn't around to scrutinize their behavior and it was made all the more easy by the fact that no one here knew who he was.

Brookoff's directives had been simple enough. Go in, inspect the workers and be as inconspicuous as possible while paying extra close attention to the terminal, emergency and pediatric wards on the first and second floors.

Those were the most important, seeing as how lives were hanging by mere threads and children needed special care. He was to document everything he witnessed and fax it immediately to Daniel's assistant so he could go over the report.

This was the first time he had ever set foot in the hospital and that was a plus. Now all he had to do was keep the pretense as a mere visitor and watch the goings on through his peripheral vision or something.

"May I help you sir?"

He nearly jumped a foot off the floor at the sudden intrusion of his thoughts, the woman in white he turned to see, smiling sweetly as he tried to calm his heartbeats. "No, uh." He cleared his throat loudly. "Not...really?"