NINE

"You know what i'll do? I'll get a knife and cut out his tongue, and we'll send it to his wife."
~John Stanfa
———

  Being the reason that we almost got into a car crash that could have taken Harrison and I's lives, you'd think i'd be given some answers to why the whole incident happened in the first place, but apparently not.

  For the last ten minutes all I could hear was the hushed arguing between Harrison and Tom. The reason it was hushed was because Harrison had dragged Tom into another room and shut the door in my face, leaving me stranded in the hallway.

  I had my back leaned against the wall, my eyebrows furrowed as I patiently waited for Tom and Harrison to stop fighting. It frustrated me because I knew I was the reason they were but at the same time, I had no idea why.

  Their voices would sometimes go louder and I could hear little slivers of what they were saying, but not much. I mostly only got bits of Harrison accusing Tom and questioning him but I couldn't make out what exactly the questions were.

Until now.

   "Did you not think this through once?" Harrison's voice became clearer now as his voice raised, now coming through the door more instead of a hushed mumble and whisper.

  My eyebrows raised and I turned towards the door, slowly creeping closer to it to get a better spot to listen. I gently placed my ear upon the door, their voices clear as day now. It was almost like listening through a phone.

   "Yes, Harrison, I did. Of course I fucking did. That's why everyone's coming after me. I knew what I was doing but I didn't care!" Tom shot back at Harrison, his voice angry and strong, being the reason why I could hear them.

  Harrison let out a frustrated sigh, "No, you didn't think this through, Tom. You could have just avoided this. If you just minded your own business and just avoided it from the beginning, we wouldn't be here almost getting killed everywhere we go!"

  "It wasn't my choice! Cant you see that? Do you think not have done it if it was? It was my job to go to that club that night. If I didn't go, i'd probably be dead." Tom justified his side. "You know how he is."

  The nightclub? Did he mean the one where we met before we went back to his place and my entire life changed? I furrowed my brows confused. Why was he forced to go? I wondered who the he was.

  There was so many things that didn't make sense. The more they talked, the more I felt my mind become juggled around and mismatched. It was like I was finally getting the pieces of the puzzle together but just as soon as I was about to complete it, the pieces changed.

  "I know." Harrison sighed. "But, if you don't tell her soon, I will. She deserves to know why she's here. You can't just leave her in the dark forever."

"I know."

   There was the shuffling of feet before the door was pulled away from my ear and I stumbled back, coming face to face with Harrison who had opened the door and seemed a little surprised at my eavesdropping. It probably wasn't right of me.

  He glanced back at Tom, sending him a disappointed look before walking past me and heading for the stairs, leaving me in a slight embarrassed state for being such a prod. The sound of his footsteps echoed through the house before the slamming of the front door.