FIFTEEN

Never lie to someone who trusts you, and never trust someone who lies to you.
~William Sterling
———

To say that I got a full night of sleep last night would be a total lie, because I didn't. Although I managed to fall asleep quickly after Tom had left me alone and I was able to relish in a bit of calm in the darkness, the sleep didn't last very long.

I found myself waking up during the middle of the night whilst the images replayed in my head over and over like a film tape that didn't want to shut off. I swear I could even hear the little clicks every time it would change frame.

I felt relieved when I heard the familiar sound of the kettle boiling downstairs, which signaled that Tom was awake and that I no longer had to try and shut my eyes and find some kind of essence of sleep.

Though I did not have to wait for Tom to wake up so that I could, I usually did not want to just go downstairs and wait around until was awake before I knew what was going to happen for the day. At least today I knew that someone was coming over, someone I had not met before.

My tired feet slugged down the stairs towards the kitchen, my palm rubbing against my eye as I tried to wipe away the tiredness that lingered in my brain.

I wondered when the guest was going to arrive. I felt anxious. I didn't really know why but a part of myself felt really nervous to meet them, as if I already knew who they were because their presence radiates from miles and miles away, seeping into my senses.

My feet met with the floor and I turned to face into the kitchen, preparing to ask Tom when this visitor was coming, but freezing in my tracks once I saw that there was another figure in the kitchen sat upon a stool, who I presumed was the guest.

I slowly pulled my hand away from my eye, unsure of what to say or do. They had not noticed me yet so I had the opportunity to turn back to the stairs and rush back to the room, get dressed and presentable.

It seemed my luck ran short when Tom's eyes landed upon me, grabbing the attention of the guest too, who turned in his seat to face me, a warm smile covering his face as he got a look at me.

He had a salt and pepper stubble, along with matching hair that sat neatly upon his head. He wore an expensive looking black suit with just a simple white shirt underneath it, paired with a pair of orange sunglasses that he pushed to the top of his head once he saw me.

"Ah, Miss Williams." He spoke.

I froze for a bit, looking towards Tom for guidance as I wasn't sure of what to say, especially when my eyes landed upon the gun that sat in the pocket of the guest. It seemed that everyone had one, and it made sense why.

Tom nodded his head towards the guest, as if telling me to say something.

"Uh-" My eyes landed upon the guests again, who still wore a bright teethed smile, his arm rested upon the counter. "Hello, Mr..."

"Robert." He answered.

"Mr Robert."

"No, no." He let out a chuckle, amused by what I had said even though I just stood there confused, "My names Robert. My surnames Downey, full names Robert Downey Jr cause my dad was Robert Downey too, though you don't have to call me that. Just Robert is fine." He said in a quick explanation with a few waves of the hand.