SIXTEEN

When I sell liquor, it's called bootlegging; when my patrons serve it on Lake Shore Drive, it's called hospitality.
~ Al Capone
———

It had been around three hours ago when Robert arrived and had shown Tom and I his assortment of weaponry that he had brought in a metal case. It was around then when he enlightened me on the wonders of the world of guns and what exactly comes with it all.

As of right now, we were all sat around in the lounge with a large bottle of Masseto wine opened up in the middle of the coffee table before the couches. It was a wine I had never heard of before, but I hadn't heard of many wines before so I couldn't say whether or not it was common. The look upon Roberts face when he had seen it once Tom had brought it out showed that it was probably one of good taste.

Robert and Tom were mostly conversing with each other whilst I sat and listened. There wasn't much I could talk about with them because I wasn't familiar with Robert. I knew nothing about him so it wasn't easy for me to conjure up a conversation that flowed like when Tom created one.

Tom and Robert would bring up a conversation and they seemed to immediately understand each other, it was obvious that they had known each other for a long time. Their dynamic gave the illusion that they could be father and son if you did not know them personally. If I had not known them I would have definitely thought so.

There was an strange familiarity about Robert that brought me a sense of comfort. It may have been his caring nature that made my mind ponder what it would be like if he was my father instead of the one I had. I could see how much he cared about Tom and I envied it. I didn't have the perfect father figure growing up and Robert being here made my heart long to know what it was like.

  It was only the middle of the day and yet Robert decided it would be the right time to bring out alcohol, specially wine. The subject of it all brought humor to my heart and it felt good to be around someone who could bring me comfort and make me feel humored again. He would crack a joke every now and then that would bring out a chuckle in me that I hadn't done in a long while.

  "The two of them wouldn't stop bickering over this stupid motel bed. Apparently Evans ended up cuddling Mackie whilst Stan was on the floor. I did not expect to hear the sound of two masculine screams at five O'clock in the morning." Robert explained the story of men who's names I had heard before with a smile on his face.

  Tom let out a chuckle and it felt unfamiliar. He was so guarded and serious around everyone else, and I could tell he could sink into a state of comfort and let his guard down with someone he really trusts. I wondered if that would ever be us and if he would ever let his guard down like that with me. He already did once when he began breaking apart about cooking but he quickly repaired that and never showed it since.

  "In the car back, Evans and Mackie wouldn't stop pestering about it, we'll mostly Mackie. Evans explained that he had stuck a pillow between them but somehow it got thrown onto the floor in the middle of the night." Robert chuckled. "Sebastian just sat bare faced the whole way back due to them continuously arguing"

Tom nodded with a chuckle, "I wouldn't expect less from them. Good to know they're back in New York. How was London?"

"It was lovely. Mackie forced Sebastian to go ice skating. Apparently Anthony took classes as a kid and thought he would try and teach Sebastian to try and lift his spirits. Sebastian had been down since the motel because he found a spider on his chest the morning before they left, and it wasn't a small spider, it was a big spider." Roberts face squeezed in humor as it was clear he found the story quite funny.