ELEVEN

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
~Adam Sandler
———

Brother?

My brows furrowed in deep confusion. Tom said he didn't have any siblings, so why was this guy claiming to be his brother? Maybe it was just metaphorical, like a close friend, or maybe Tom had lied to me.

Two figures stepped through the door, both dressed in dark attire, but not too formal, just enough to signal an importance of some kind, and the importance you knew not to meddle with in any circumstance.

The one who spoke first had curly red hair that was paired with a black bandana, tied around his head. He seemed to look upon Tom with a look of amusement. I could tell he liked taunting Tom by the way he mused upon him.

The second figure had dark brown hair, curly and long, sitting upon his shoulders. He had a french-American look towards him, the pairing of the dark hair to the light skin. He didn't seem to be taunting Tom as much as the first sibling. He just stood behind the red-head and watched with his hands in his pockets.

"What are you doing here, Harry?" Tom asked, annoyance filling his voice like a dagger that he shot towards the red-head, Harry.

"What? I can't say hello to my brother and come check up on him? I've missed you big brother, most of us do. It's kind of lonely without you breaking the furniture every day because of him." Harry snickered.

Tom glared at him and I could see his fist tighten. I wondered who the him was. I keep hearing this repeated between Tom and others but not a name has been uttered. I couldn't ask him, I knew he'd brush me off just like he always does.

"As far as i'm concerned, you're not my brother." Tom bore his eyes into Harry, folding his arms tightly, probably to avoid throwing a fist in his direction.

"Oh Tom, don't be like that. I thought we'd settled this already. Doesn't a mutual hate declare partnership? You hate him as much as I do. I thought you'd already taken care of the bastard by now." Harry mused.

Tom sighed, "He lied, Harry, and now I have a problem on my hands. He set a bounty, for her, for a fucking lot of money, that's why they keep coming after us." His voice became quiet. "It's my fault too. I didn't do what I was supposed to, I couldn't. They didn't do it."

Sams eyebrows furrowed and he stepped forwards. "What? But then why did he take care of them if they were innocent?" He spoke up for the first time, pulling his hands out of his pockets.

Tom shrugged. "That's what i'm trying to figure out. He obviously had a reason to kill them. He didn't do.. that, though. As far as I can see, they owed him money and like a lot of money. When they couldn't pay it, well.. they offered her."

"Her?" Sam asked, confused to who he was talking about.

My eyes widened as Tom looked towards where I was and I felt my stomach twist. What? What was he talking about? This had to be some sick joke. I was going to be given to him? I stepped away from the door, my head aching with confusion.

Was this to do with my parents? How could they have had any correlation with Tom or his family? I had met Tom because we'd met at a bar and i'd gotten drunk, we'd danced together and then slept together. Right?