Teacher

"Mr.Wood?"

I enter my next class with Ranboo beside me. Both of them look at me, making me laugh to myself inside. I get why the teacher would, but Ranboo is just too curious sometimes. The teacher's desk is right next to the door on the right as soon as you walk in, and he's already sat in his seat with papers scattered all along his desk.

I shoo Ranboo away and say I'll talk to him when I'm done, he just nods and walks off to his seat. At least he respected my privacy, that was nice of him to not question what I'm doing and just stand next to me the whole time. It's always been a pet peeve of mine.

"What can I help you with, (Y/n)?"

I stop watching Ranboo and avert my eyes back to the teacher. I said his name for a reason. I come back to see him slightly leaning over his desk with his fingers laced together to probably hear me better over all the other students in the classroom. He still has his small smile at the beginning of class like he always does.

"Remember a couple months ago at the dance when I almost spent the entire time stuck inside this classroom?"
"Yeah, did you end up having a good time?"
"I did, actually, closer to the end at least. Which is why I wanted to talk to you."

I smiled, still thinking of that day and everything with it. Mr.Wood was already smiling wider as he remembered it, too.

"I wanted to thank you for pushing me to.. not do that. I met someone and now they're a really good friend of mine-"
"Ranboo, right?"

I look at him surprised, I didn't know he knew. I still wondered how, though. I didn't even have to ask before he answered the obvious question I had.

"Why do you think I paired you guys up? You work well together and.. you seem to be 'out there' more. I hoped for the behavior to continue so I did what I thought was best."

Somehow, my admiration of him only grew after hearing that. I knew he was one of the good teachers that actually expressed how much they care about their students and notice the small things.

I can picture him the teacher that I'll miss in college and crave to visit once before I set off in my own life. I would know how to bake and possible cook by then, and with his help throughout my highschool year. Sadly, you can only have this class once, sometimes for only a semester, like Ranboo.

I nod, appreciating the thought. I didn't want to take up anymore of his time so I walked off, back to Ranboo. Who, now that I see him, never seemed to take his eyes off of me during that whole conversation. And if he did, it was before I finished.

I give him a confused glance as I sit down and he acts like nothing happened. I shake my head to stop myself from laughing at him, and take out my daily notes. And like a predator pouncing at it's prey, his pencil in hand was on my paper in an instant, doodling.

Like he was waiting for his favorite chocolate to go on sale the day after Easter and takes the first one he sees. That, I couldn't hold in.

I had to cover my mouth to muffle my laughter, he only looked at me with an innocent smile. This boy is going to be the death of me. For a seconds he seems proud of having the ability to make me laugh in seconds and his ego just gets boosted from there.

I calm down and watch his hand work on a corner of my paper. It's something different than usual. It's normally a small animal or funny face, but now it's more meaningful. There sits, a tiny drawing of a simple hand, making the finger heart with its fingers.

I stare at it in awe.

I've always loved that small symbol for such a big gesture. It's Korean, I believe. It says you like or love someone, and it's a way to show how much you adore someone. I feel my fingers tingle and I want to look at him, and ask him what he means by it and if he even knows the meaning of it.

But I couldn't. I just.. really, really liked it. I thought for a second, if he somehow found a discrete way to return the secret feelings I have for him.

I finally looked away from the doodle, and stared at him. He looked completely unfazed by it. He just doodled it, then got distracted by something else in the classroom. And, for some reason, it altered my mood. Just a tiny bit. I felt saddened. It proves he doesn't know then.

I found it funny I actually believed in something so ridiculous. I didn't want him to grow suspicious of anything so I didn't show it. I put on a neutral face and tried to forget about it quickly, I don't need to ruin the whole day for something so small. Plus, I'm going to his house after school again. I wouldn't want to bring down the mood.

Class went by extremely slow after that, almost painfully. I never actually forgot about the symbol, as it was right there on my paper. I could see it out of the corner of my eye all the time.

Ranboo was busy paying attention like the good student he is, but I couldn't. And I'm sure the teacher noticed, too. My previous optimistic mood was soon dropped once class began. And being right upfront, closest to the front, I was standing out like a sore thumb.

For the first time ever, I almost wanted to erase one of his doodles. He always doodles in pencil because he was worried that it would be in the way, and I could erase it if I needed to. I never did though, I loved them all too much.

And whenever he noticed one stick out for a second as I flip through some pages, he smiled, glad I kept them for him. As much as he just shattered my heart, I still care about him and want him to be happy.

I guess I am happy to play a new game with Ranboo. He always adds his own commentary when literally anything happens so it's always really fun. But the way he laughs is another bonus, it could escalate from a small giggle to an entire wheeze in seconds.

He bounces when he laughs and bounces his leg after sitting for longer periods of time. He just has that.. I don't want to say peppy but there's just a joyful auroma around him, all the time. He has a lot of energy.

There's only a few minutes left of class and some of the students are already packing up. I don't blame them, everyone would want to leave school as early as they could. Which is why we all hate 'the bell doesn't dismiss you, I do' sherade from our teachers.

They call it respect, I call it kidnapping. Depends on your pov. Personally, from my experience, as a student, I should stop talking to myself. Jesus christ.

"Since~ it's the last class of the day, you wanna just walk with me to my house? To save time and everything." I heard Ranboo speak up, dragging on the word 'since' to gain my attention. It worked, and it was kind of funny.

I still thought about it, even after I was so excited to go over. I still.. I still remember the stupid little doodles that he always draws for me in my notebooks whenever he sees me and how much it completely just brightens my mood. I want to be with him but he.. I don't think he does.. from the signs that he's been giving me. They could just be misinterpreted but they're all mixed up.

I can't.

"Sorry.. uhm, raincheck? Possibly? I'm really sorry to cancel but.. I have stuff to.."
"Oh, okay. Yeah, yeah that's fine. That's perfectly fine."

He nods and gives me a small smile, before quickly changing the topic. I zone out a bit, just hearing him speak but without listening. I think over my decision, wondering if I really meant it.

As much as I am excited for whatever game he bought, which was surely a good choice on his part because he has the best taste, I can't put on a fake facade for that long right next to him.

I just want to cry.