Visit

I hated saying goodbye after canceling plans with Ranboo but I had to. I had to figure some things out and take some time to myself to fully concentrate. I kept my head down as I exited the building, deciding on a different route home to prevent bumping into Ranboo again. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I ended up getting a bit lost, regretting my decision. As I take more and more wrong turns, I realize I am in fact, lost. I look for any noticable signs or recognizable landmarks. Of course, I see nothing. I grip onto my bag tighter as I look for a convenience store or somewhere else for cover so I can call my mom. I see a bus stop and think that's good enough.

I cross the street in a jog after looking both ways, and sit on one edge of the bench so other people can still sit since they'll be waiting for their bus. I pull out my phone, happy to see it still has a reasonably amount of battery left. I scrolled through my contacts and looked for her contact.

I still hesitated on calling her, thumb hovering over the phone symbol. What if she's busy? I don't want to bother her.. even if she's free, she's going to ask questions that I just don't want to answer.

"(Y/n), is that really you?"

My head perks up and I look towards the direction of noise, and I was surprised to see who I saw.

"Wilbur?"
"In the flesh! How've you been? What are you up to?"

He seemed quick to brighten up when I recognized him, happily checking up on me. He still had his fluffy brown hair bounce when he steps and another colorful sweater that had cute little designs.

He didn't have his bag on his anymore so I assume he's already been home in the time before he stumbled upon me.

"I've been good, thank you. I'm just calling my mom."
"Oh, I haven't seen you around here before, though?"
"That's because.. I am.. lost."

I laugh sheepishly and avoid eye contact, now embarrassed. I don't even know why I'm calling my mother, when I'm lost she'll definitely be, too. I don't know where I am so I can't even tell her. I'm such an idiot.

I exhale, now wanting to face palm. I grip my phone tighter, and turn it off. Now I'm screwed.

"I thought you were calling your mom?"
"Yeahhh," I finally look back at him to see his hands in his pockets, looking confused. "I just realized since I'm lost, I can't tell her where I am to come and get me!"

I exclaim, becoming frustrated. I slump back into the bench, and close my eyes. I don't know what to do now. I could hear Wilbur sigh and feel his presence come closer as he sits beside me on the bench.

He doesn't seem to do anything for a moment, letting silence take over. It was calming though, it was decent outside in temperature wise and the light breeze felt soothing.

"I know where we are, we're a block from my house. I took the bus home, this exact bus stop actually, and took a walk after. I know where we are, you're okay."

He used such a soft and comforting tone that it took me off guard. I almost got emotional listening to his words, even if they were on the smaller side. It was enough.

"You're so kind, Wilbur. I thought you were an egotistical dick when we first met. And I mean in the classroom, not when you bumped into me in the hallway."
"That hurt."

He laughs, almost like a giggle, and shows no hints of actually being hurt. Always finding a way to laugh about something, must be nice.

"You look exhausted. I could call your mom for you and tell her where you are, she's probably worried you're not home." He says with a small smile, taking one of his hands out of his pocket and holding my hand, rubbing his thumb on my knuckles. Strangely, it was comforting. Even if it was unexpected.

"Thank you.. you're really sweet. I know I've already said that but I mean it. You're really sweet."
"I try my best. Now give me your phone, you're gonna pass out."

I hand him my phone and he gently takes it out from my hand, careful to not drop it. He still keeps one hand in mine. I tell him my password before he even asks, knowing otherwise he wouldn't be able to unlock it. I didn't even think of the meaning behind all this, I thought he was just a caring friend.

I zone out as he talks with my mom, acting charismatic like always. He laughs at her jokes, and is nice to my mom. When he tells her the full situation, he pauses after a muffled voice responds back. I listen in to hear his confusion but he's already pushing the phone away from his ear and talks to me for a moment.

"Well, good news and bad news. Good news, she answered. Bad news, she is busy doing 'family things' that she didn't specify for personal reasons of course. So, would you like to stay with me for a bit until she can pick you up?"

This day is just filled with surprises. Just because of how tired I am and how frustrated I've been feeling, I say yes. My head has started to hurt and my eyes feel heavy already, so I'm happy with my decision. He tells my mom my answer and hangs up the phone.

"Welp, looks like you're stuck with me for a couple hours. Let's get going then, yeah?"

Wilbur was even a gentleman at home. He took my bag for me and hung it up, offered me a drink (of water or juice), and directed me to the closest couch that I could rest on. Words couldn't explain how grateful I was for him.

Barely known him for a day and I'm already at his house, acting like we've been friends for years. I didn't even visit Ranboo's house until he dragged me there. Am I a bad friend..?

"Looks like you're all settled in nicely. I'm going to be in my room if you need me, just yell and I'll be there to assist you shortly."

He smiled and laughed, sounding like an airplane attendant. I said thank you, but only after making sure he knew he didn't owe me anything. I infact owe him now, so he doesn't have to go all out for me. I'm not worth all that hassle.

Once he left, it was oddly quiet. I thought it would help me sleep, but it didn't. I ended up stairing at the ceiling for almost an hour, clutching onto the blanket he gave me. I sighed and hugged the pillow tighter. I miss Ranboo. I shouldn't have canceled on him, he didn't deserve that. As much as Wilbur seems perfect for a great future friend, he's not Ranboo.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I snap out of my thoughts and get brought back to reality from Wilbur's voice popping up. He's leaning against the back of the couch, resting his forearms on the cushion and looking at me. I shake my head no and he nods.

"I couldn't focus on my homework. I guess we're both unfortunate."
"I guess so."
"What's on your mind? Every time I look at you, you seem stressed."

I exhale softly and decide on letting him in. I need someone to talk to and help me out, so why not try with Wilbur? He seems trustworthy enough, right?

I sit up and scoot over, giving him room to sit down next to me. I thought he would walk around like a normal person, but he just jumped over it and somersaulted onto the couch. I giggle and roll my eyes, probably shouldn't have expected anything else from him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He says with a goofy grin.
"You're so cheesy." He smiles and laughs, before patiently waiting for me to speak again. He knows there's something on my mind, there's no point in hiding it anymore. I play with my hands as I think it over one last time, trying to find any reasons on why I shouldn't spill everything. When I find none, I tell him.