Car ride

I retract my hand from Wilbur's hair and sit up. Wilbur walks over to the door to open since it is his house and I can't just invite anyone in.

When the door opens, I instantly recognize them as my own mother. I smile seeing her. I quickly get up, following Wilbur's same path to the door and reaching for a hug.

"Hello Ms. (l/n). Pleasure to meet you."

Wilbur stuck his hand out once I was done greeting my mother, she accepted it gratefully. Smiles were tossed between the two, but not many words. I guess this is a strange situation to be in for him. Usually it's meeting the parents of your partner worth worrying about.

I couldn't help but take another look at Wilbur, though my feelings for Ranboo are real and may never change, maybe in another life I could have been with him instead. Yet, my heart belongs to another boy.

"Alright." I start, realizing my mother and I should start heading home now. "Thank you Wilbur, I'll see you around in school, yeah?"

"Of course, (Y/n). I'll see you around- and don't be shy to stop by every once and a while, you know my address now." He smiles, staying close to the door. I nod.

As we wave goodbye stepping down from his porch, I look back one more time. He stands in the doorway, watching us leave. I hear my mom open a car door and turn the engine back on. It's loud, takes a second to start up, and then the car door closes.

I open the passenger door to sit up front as I'm finally tall enough to pass as my age. I just can't seem to get myself in as something stops me. It's like a physical grasp keeping me still but there's no one there, not a single hand on me.

I look back at Wilbur's front door. He's still there. Just with a more confused expression than before. He scrunched his brows, silently asking me what's happening. I don't know either, man. I don't know. But I toss a smile his way nevertheless, force myself in the car before my mom gets upset with me, and peek through the side window as he goes inside.

It was a weird interaction, but I don't feel disgusted by it. Maybe it's some sort of sign from the universe telling me something. Ha, that would be funny.

~

As my mother drives us home, I look out the window and watch as houses and trees pass by. I imagine a little squirrel hopping from house to house on the rooftops and scaling all the power lines. It makes car rides go by a little faster. I might be the only one who does this but I don't care. I'm having fun.

"Soo.. Wilbur?"
"Oh shut up."

I joke and giggle as my mom starts "that talk" with me because I met a new boy from school. Even if she already knows about Ranboo, she still likes to know everything.

"He is my friend, there are no romantic feelings involved- but I will say he has really soft hair. It's so curly too, when it covers his eyes he does look attractive I will say that."

I say like it wasn't as weird as it should have been. To casually compliment one of my friends in such a way that makes it seem like- okay why did I say all that? Why.. why? What is with me today?

"And you're sure you don't like Wilbur?"
"No. No, definitely not. I can't. Ranboo-"
"You can like more than one person at a time, you can't control who you love."

She's right, yes, but I still feel bad about it. I've never been one for dating or going out on dates or dressing up for an upcoming dance at school, I like the to keep to myself and if I like someone.. I would know. It's less work and so much easier to get ahold of my feelings. I feel just a bit more in control when it's not out of hand.

But Wilbur..? I don't know. I've only known him for a day, I've never been attracted to someone so quickly before. For Ranboo, it was at least a few weeks so I had a chance to actually get to know him. Wilbur, on the other hand, isn't so lucky. What if I say something and it's not what I put it out to be? What if i change my mind and those feelings i thought I had went away? What then?

"Don't take it too hard, you don't have to rush into a relationship if you don't want to. No one will ever do that if they're the one. Some people, they wait. Others.. will push. That's just how it is."

I listen carefully to her advice, taking it all in. I believe her. I believe in the words she's saying. Maybe I am just freaking out. Maybe I am mixing things up. But I know Ranboo is important to me and I don't want anything to get in the way of that. Wilbur is my friend. I just grew closer to him than I thought I would.

It reminds me of when I first met Ranboo. The first slow and a little awkward conversation, sneaking in a little laugh to keep up the mood, then letting it take it's course. If we talk again the next day, then we do. If we don't, then that's that. That's just "how it is".

"Would you be okay if.. I go visit.. him..?"

I look up at her, playing with my hands as I always do when I'm nervous. I notice her sly glance at me from the corner of her way to stay focused on the road. She only smiles, as she was expecting me to ask that very question.

"Where do you think we're going?"

I raise my brows, shocked and surprised. I turn my head back to the window, checking out surroundings again.. this isnt the way home. We're on a completely different street that we've never taken before.

I gasp and squeal, my hands shaking. I cover my face, not believing she would do this. I didn't know she knew me so well. That's a mother for you, they know all. Not even kidding.

"Holy.. mom. What? How?"
"Mother knows all. Now calm down, we're almost there."
"How do you know-"
"You think I let you stay at his house without getting his address beforehand?"

She shakes her head, laughing to herself. I should have known.

Now it's going to feel like forever until we get there with a reason to be excited. I see my school in the distance off another road, knowing we are almost there. She wasn't lying. Only two more blocks to go. Thank god Ranboo lives near the school.

It was all so fast I haven't got the chance to think about what I'm going to say. After I asked him for a rain check, what's going to happen now? Would I technically be uninvited then? What if he's busy since he was no longer expecting company?

Only one more block to go.

Should I have called him before? To see if it's okay to hang out- what if he isn't available? What about his homework that he does so well on? Would I be interrupting him? What if he isn't home?

Too late.

"We're here!"