Talk

"I uhm, might meet a minute to collect.. all of it." I'm still sitting on the couch next to Wilbur, and playing with my hands. I can feel them shake so I keep them occupied to prevent it from showing. "There's a lot- you don't have to do this for me if you don't want to. I know it can be.."

"Hey.. I'm here for you, just like I said and I will stand by it." He gently bumps my shoulder in a playful way. His words were sincere but also serious, but his actions are able to express them further. It's reassuring when there's no mixed signals coming from someone.

I could only nod in response, still preparing myself. I desperately wanted to practice my breathing exercises in advance but I feel like more bad than good would come out of that. I don't know what he would think.

"Okay. Okay. I'm ready."

~

If it was quiet before, it's a whole other level of quiet now. Complete silence, breathing barely heard. My leg has started to bounce, my hand resting on my knee following along with it.

Hopefully the conversation didn't seem as deep as I perceived it to be. I would feel bad to dump that much on him. He doesn't even know me that well, yet I trust him a lot more than most of the people I know.

Except Ranboo, obviously. But this is the one thing I can't tell him. Not until I'm ready at least.

Wilbur takes a sudden breath in, startling me from the previous silence. I flick my eyes to him and back to the floor a few times, not sure what to say now. But fortunately for me, I don't have to as he says something before.

"Well, so you like someone. Everyone falls in love at one point or another. It's completely natural and expected of, kind of." I know he meant to calm me down but I still had doubts.

"Like this? Specifically? What do I do now? Where do I go from here?"
"Psh, why are you asking me? It's your life, right? What do you want to do?"
"Sounds like you asked as many questions as I did."

He smiles and rolls his eyes, letting out a small laugh. He slumps back into the couch, now not having to listen so intently as I speak, he can relax a bit now. Which gives me a chance to realize what I just did.

I told him. Somebody knows now. I just hope the word doesn't get out. So many people already thought me and Ranboo were together. I don't need that swamping me at school everyday, again.

"Do you think.. the feeling is mutual..?" I ask cautiously, afraid of the answer, and look at him. He only shrugs as his answer. "Dude, c'mon! Rude."

"What can I say, I'm just a rude dude."
"Oh shut up."

I laugh aloud at his response and fall back against the couch next to him. He asks "is this 'Ranboo' dude cute", making me throw a pillow at his face.

He playfully hit me back with it, so I get another and start our first official pillow fight. As friends, it's basically mandatory to have pillow fights. There's going to be more, no doubt.

After a little, we get tired. Heavily breathing on the couch still, laughing like idiots at each other. I haven't had this much fun in a while. Too busy stressing.

It's nice. Reminds me of the sticky note doodle incident thing at Ranboo's. Him holding me back from tearing it off the wall. I like that memory. I'm pretty fond of it. Speaking of Ranboo, I really want to see him now.

"Go. Your mom should be here soon."
"Hm?"

He smiles at me, and gestures at me with his hand. Who knew how much such a small action could mean. I smile wider and stand up, fixing my clothes. I couldn't even take a step before turning around and hugging him. He flinched, surprised, but hugged back. It was short and quick, but not meaningless.

I was ecstatic. I only saw Ranboo earlier today but I think I've definitely gotten attached to him. It's amazing, really. To be this comfortable around someone that you could be with them for hours and never get irritated.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be rude. You invited me into your home, I would feel bad-"
"Nonsense! I invited you, and you accepted. We had fun, so what else could you possibly owe me?"

His tone altered from the previous fun and playful to a bit more serious but still sincere. His voice was softer but escalated near the end when he dropped it just as fast.

I hesitated still. I wanted to see Ranboo, but I felt awful for leaving so soon. I glanced back between him and the door, debating on every choice I have ever made up to this point.

I decided to do one more thing before I leave, atleast. I turn to Wilbur, facing him. I stretched my arms out and said, "hug?"

He only nodded before wrapping himself around me. He was taller than me, so his head was just a bit higher than mine. It didn't matter though, it felt like he needed a hug more than I did.

I never even asked him how he was doing. Moved to a new school, in a completely new area, and he doesn't seem to have any siblings around to help him. I don't even know if he has any siblings.

"Wilbur?"
"Hm?" He responds, not letting go from the embrace.
"How are you? I'm sorry for not asking sooner, I know I'm not the only one with problems."

He almost seemed to pause, even sitting still. His breathed in, but didn't move or speak for another few seconds. I start to doubt even asking. I care for him but what if he isn't comfortable with opening up?

"I'm.. okay. For the most part. School is definitely tough, making friends have been hard. But you're here with me. I have you."

He spoke as if he was afraid saying each passing word aloud. His voice was quiet, just above a whisper. I could feel the vibrations from his chest as he spoke. I could also feel his heart rate speeding up.

I could only hold him tighter, afraid I would lose him if I let go before he did. Until my mom arrives, I have the time I need to comfort him. He doesn't seem to mind either.

It's a good thing he likes hugs.

Finally, we separate. Grudgingly from his side, even. He kept his head down, staring at the couch or the floor, I couldn't tell. The point is he was avoiding eye contact, and I didn't blame him.

"Thank you for telling me. And don't be scared to open up more often. I don't mind." I used the same tone as him from before, keeping the peace in the room.

I couldn't help but pet his head after I saw his fluffy hair right infront of me. That made him bring his head up though. I thought he was going to ask me stop, instead he let me continue. I swore he almost leaned into the touch.

Then there was a knock at the door.