14

I go home after that incident. I ignore the calls on my phone and slump onto my bed. The weight isn't leaving.

How could so much change in so little time?

--

The next day I go into work like nothing happened, though only for a short while, I use my work laptop to get Hawks' schedule. He has a lunch with Endeavor tomorrow. Other than that all is normal.

I tail him during patrol, keeping a long enough distance to not alarm him and sticking to bigger crowds.

Nothing out of the usual. His act is pristine. He talks to civilians, signs a few comic books, and shows he usual, vibrant smile.

The next day I follow him to the meeting with my father.

Before the day even started I had a strange gut feeling. Something would happen. I know Hawks is trying to lure Endeavor for the events taking place tomorrow but something felt off. Sometimes you just have to trust your gut.

So before anything else, before even leaving my apartment, I compiled my voice recordings and stacks of evidence against Endeavor. I set it all out on my table and send a text.

Shoto, Come to my apartment as soon as possible. Take the documents on the table before someone else gets to them. I trust you to make the decision which you deem is right.

I love you.

The fight will either be today or tomorrow, regardless, because I am so unextraordinary, I likely won't live past it.

I left my cell on the table as well. And technically, I wasn't supposed to be at work today. I'm off duty which means no costume. I trailed Hawks in my usual big hoodie and jeans, a pair of sturdy boots on my feet.

The restaurant is in one of the high rises, its one of those places you need a good name, and reservation for. I elect to stay on the ground, on a bench, pretending to read a magazine. I watched Hawks and Endeavor enter, after taking a walk together. Its all going according to his plan I assume.

Would he really lure Endeavor to his death?

I can't find it in myself to care if my father died. He was never a father to me. When we were kids, after Shoto was born, the rest of us were ignored. He already spent a few years torturing us with training. Fuyumi never learned to control her ice, and Natsuo was too young. He tried to break down Touya, saying he would make him a hero one day, yet he was completely ignored only years later. And then he died. I didn't have fire nor ice, my fathers biggest failure was me. He always said that, my quirk was useless, so by comparison, I am useless.

As a hero I should care. But I can't. If something happened to dad, Fuyumi or I would take in Shoto. I've already tried that. If things go south I hope Fuyumi will be up to that task.

They've been in there for twenty minutes and so far nothing has happened.

I watch people walking by. There is a mom holding her daughters hand, a teenager skateboarding, a group of schoolgirls walking around, likely ditching classs. There are old ladies buying groceries and young adults on dates. This city is huge, I hardly know any of these people. I look out for them every night and I'll probably never know most of them.

I'm distracted from my thoughts by a few shouts. Everything stopped, people staring at the sky and pointing at fast approaching blob. It closes in at incredible speeds, its black muscular body now in view. Its wings terrifying. A nomu.

So either Hawks has been double crossed or the real plan was to do this today, infront of civilians.

I immediately stand, tossing aside my magazine. "EVERYONE EVACUATE NOW!' I scream. It sets in motion crowds of people sprinting off, all away from this building, in swarms.