16

Everything still hurts. My eyes are heavy when I wake but I force them to stay open. Where the hell am I?

The last thing I remember is feeling a warmth after I sat in that alley. And now I'm on a bed, it looks like a hospital but clearly its not. The lights are off, and the room is dim and messy. It smells like mildew and dust.

And Touya, Dabi, he's here.

"Where are we?" I croak, my mouth and throat dry.

"My home," he responds.

That's not helpful.

"Can I ask you something?" I whisper. I try to shift to sit up as I speak, but he places a hand on my good shoulder to keep my laying down. That when I notice the sleeve missing from my sweatshirt and the bloodied bandage wrapping the shoulder.

"Sure. But don't get up. I don't wanna redo those fucking stitches," he grumbles. His voice is raspy now, like he's been chain smoking the last seven years.

"Why did Hawks betray the heros?"

He's silent a moment. But then he grins, something maniacal. "I guess he's the real deal then. You didn't know?"

"No. I thought-" I stop myself. I will not cry. No. But I thought he was my friend.

"He's one manipulative bastard that's for sure. Now, go back to bed Ayumi, you should rest more," he says, then without letting me have another word, he leaves the room.

So I was right.

I didn't want to be right.

Hawks is the villain. That means our friendship meant nothing to him. Is that why he pushed me so much about my dad? Did he just want dirt?  Then why would he care for me? Why bring me to his apartment? Why treat me like he cared?

Now I'm somewhere, with Dabi. My wounds are patched for now. The glass is gone and my hair is... brushed? What the fuck?

The confusion swirls more with my pain, like a never ending tornado of the worst kind of anxiety.

I've been taken by the league, plus side is I have my brother.

My brother is a villain, but he's alive.

My friend is a villain, is he my friend?

Shoto probably thinks I'm dead.

Dad might be dead.

I should be dead.
I should be...

And the spiral continues. It feels like hours, being trapped in my own head.

I know my eyes are open, and I'm vaguely aware I'm breathing. But everything is so upside down. I thought I had things under control.

Does Hawks know where I am? Do I want him to know?

Eventually, my eyes drift closed again, and I finally sleep...

I wake to a light poking on my cheek. My eyes open slowly and I let out a soft groan. My body still feels like death, I don't quite have it in me to move.

My eyesight is blurred for a bit. A fuzzy figure slowly becomes clear.

A girl with blond hair is two messy buns is staring down at me with her citrine colored cat eyes. She has a smile on her face. Himiko Toga.

"Hi! Dabi says your name is Ayumi. I'm Himiko Toga!" She gives me a toothy grin, showing off her sharp canines. Up close she looks like a normal teenager, just a girl in a sweatshirt and skirt, a bit thin, with a bit of bed head mixed in her buns.