Chapter One

I flew over the campsite, my wings dark as night stood out in the bright sun. The scorching heat made it harder for me to enjoy my flight, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. No one took notice of me, all of them laboring to prepare for our next attack.

I dropped down to the ground, gazing out at my startled warriors. Standing, I brush off the dirt that littered my light armor dress. My armor clinked as I passed the preparing soldiers, stalking towards the meeting room. As I walk into the maroon tent, I see Fleetwood shouting and yelling in rage as everyone fights over who they think is leading the rebellion.

I shake my head as my wings disappear, stretching my neck and back as I weave in between my fighting council. Fleetwood's once golden eyes are now bright red with anger, I roll my eyes. I don't understand the importance of who's leading this rebellion, if we strike now while they are unprepared, we can catch them off guard and crack their defense. The weaker they are, the sooner we can take over this rebellion.

"We need to know, NOW! I don't care what you think or what rumors you heard! I need facts, now!" Fleet roars, his face screwed up with anger. I slide me arms around his waist, kissing his neck.

"Calm down. They can only do so much at a time, Fleetwood." I murmur, his tense figure slowly relaxes as I run my fingers through his dark hair. I turn to the council of all kinds of creatures, including Kory. Nodding to them, I give them a tight-lipped smile. "Go ahead for a lunch break. Take as long as you need." I order kindly, they sigh in relief and head out quickly as I turn back to my mate.

His eyes are screwed shut, his hair hanging over his eyes tiredly. His fists were clenched, knuckles white as he held onto the metal table for support. "Fleet?" I whisper, pausing when his head snaps towards mine with an orange glow. Matebond once again under control.

"You'll die if I don't do something." He growls, the matebond making me try to rush things that weren't in his control never ended well. I close my eyes, resting my head on his tense shoulder.

"I won't die. I promise, love." I whisper, holding my hands out for him to pick me up. Even though I was twenty-two, I still wanted the comfort of his arms like I did when I was five. His orange eyes simmer to my perfect molten gold, filled with love and remorse.

"I'm sorry." His gruff voice sighs as he picks me up, cradling me close to his chest as he speeds us out of the campsite and into the nearest forest within a few spare seconds. He sets me down onto his lap, sitting on a stump.

I think over the last year, trying to figure out why my siblings haven't been answering my calls or that my biological family have openly went against me and Fleetwood to the public. They are now on the run, saying they think the rebellion will win.

I lean back against Fleet's cold, hard chest. Some days I wish I were a vampire like him, but I knew what my purpose was and that was all that mattered. Even if I died in the process.

Fleet kisses the side of my neck, his cold lips soft against my skin. I gasped, his soft tongue gently licking the spot on my collarbone. I involuntarily tilt my head, giving him better access. "Promise me something?" He murmurs sweetly, lips trailing back up my neck towards the spot underneath my ear.

My breath hitched, heart fluttering like the wings of a hummingbird. Clenching his shirt in my hands, I bite my lip. "Y-yes?" I question, he smiles. He knew the affect this was having on me. His rough hands gently skimmed my side, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Never leave me. Please. Promise me you'll never leave me or reject me. Promise me that you'll always love me." His voice was desperate, shocking me but I knew. He needed this assurance. Just as much as I.

"I promise, Fleet. Forever." I whisper, he smiles against the skin of my neck. His grip tightens on me as he leans his chin on my shoulder, humming in the back of his throat. Content with my answer, a smile graces his tired, battle ridden features.

"Always?" The molten gold of his eyes swimming with love and adoration. I smile, leaning further into him.

"Always." I confirm. Silence settling over us as we watch the day shift into night, never leaving each other's embrace as we watch the green leaves shift from the light wind and the setting sun turning them ablaze of orange. A moment I knew I would always remember.

__________

All I could hear around me were the clinking of armor as we led our warriors to battle. The night was black, the only thing you could see above was me. I fly slowly over them, scouting the area all around us to make sure they didn't attack first. No stars nor moon, only me to guide the way.

"Queen! Look out!" Annie shouts, I look up and see a pure white dragon racing towards me with a roar. I narrow my eyes, folding my wings in so I dropped further below. The dragon roared, reaching out with sharp claws as he boiled a fire deep within his chest. I tried to send my body sharply to the side like I've practiced, but I was too late.

He roared, fire spreading towards me as a sharp scream tore through my throat. I was going to die.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the late posting! I ran out of time last night before I had to start studying for a last minute test that I completely forgot about. That and I had work early in the morning. So sorry!

I would love feedback on this book, so please leave a comment on anything you may think I need to improve on or something you think I do well. Have a good day!