Chapter Two

I scream as the dragon's fire gets closer, but my wings unfold by themselves and abruptly pull me up. The fire ceases, barely missing my warriors. My crossbow flies into my hands as I shoot at the white dragon, further pissing it off. 

His head whips towards me, his red eyes narrowing to slits. My black wings help me dodge his further attacks of fire. Suddenly, an army of the rebellion races out to meet our hundreds of thousands of warriors. I spin around another burst of fire, shooting an arrow at the white dragon.

Roaring in pain and fury, I use the distracted to get underneath his jaw and wrap my arms around his neck. Gritting my teeth, I yell as I gather all the strength I have and snap his neck. In an instant, his body relaxes, going slack as we fall from the air. I scream, forcing myself against the buffeting wind and flying out from underneath the heavy body of the large dragon.

People scream, trying to avoid the crashing of the large body. I glare down at the fighting warriors, blood and dead bodies already littering the ground. I drop to the ground, doing the one thing I never thought I would achieve. I shift.

With a loud growl, I send the wolves under my care stumbling back out of shock and awe. I launch myself at the first rebel I see, ripping his throat out and spitting the blood out. Screams, shouts, and orders are heard.

I pant, slicing through the air and tackling down someone who was issuing orders. He looks at me shocked, freezing as I lean down to bare my teeth at him in warning. With a quick sudden movement, he stabs my side. I howl in agony, scrambling off him with a whine as I try to take the knife out of my side. In seconds, he's on his feet and disappearing into the battle.

"PROTECT THE QUEEN!" Someone shouts, and five guards surround me as I reach around and wrap my teeth around the ornate dagger. I rip it out, snarling in pain as I wait for my intensely hast healing abilities heal the wound. But it never stops bleeding.

I push myself back to my feet, dirt clinging to my blood covered self as the guards try to tide the battle away from me. The moon hung high overhead as I suddenly shift back, unable to hold my wolf form any longer. My wings fold back inside my back, leaving me in my black dress. I growl, knowing that my eyes were turning bright red as my vampire side took over.

Heartbeats filled my ears, blood rushing in everyone's veins appealed to me more than I knew it should have. The guards glance back at me, leaving just enough time for someone to leap through their guard. A human.

Not knowing the danger he was in, he strangles me. My vampire side forces out a laugh, shocking the human. His blond hair was splattered with dried blood, wide brown eyes filled with fear when he meets my humor-filled red eyes. In a swift movement, I have him pinned beneath me with my fangs digging into the side of his neck.

Thankfully, my human side fights against my vampire side. Halting my movements, I just rip his throat out and swallow the small mouthful I got. Dead underneath me, I rise. I flinch, whining at the deep wound in my side. The guards stare at me in shock, never before having seen me or any vampire deny an easy meal that practically fell into their lap. Especially when hurt.

Pressing my hand against my side, blood gushing between my fingers and dripping onto the ground. Black dots swim in my vision, but I hold off as I force my wings back out and lift up into the air. The guards disperse, getting back to fighting as I struggle to fly overhead.

A flicker of blood red wings catches my attention. Wings like mine. Just before I fall, spiraling to the ground in a rush of wind and feathers. Passing out just before I hit the ground, my eyes stay on the figure that disappears into the looming storm clouds.

_________

Lightning strikes outside, briefly illuminating the gloomy tent that was barely lit by a candle on Fleet's desk. A pain in my side cause me to groan, gaining my mate's attention. I shift on the bed, trying to gasp in air as I force myself to sit up.

He flits to my side, forcing me back down. "Rest. Please." He begs, his golden eyes filled with pain. I relax against the bed, relief blooming across his features for just a moment before worry takes over once again.

"It... hurts." I croak out, groaning in pain. He frowns worriedly, flitting outside and returning in seconds with one of the doctors.

"She's in pain. Fix it." He snarls, orange and red taking over his eye color.

"Fleet! Be nice!" I hiss, the doctor smiles. Her gorgeous red hair bounced as she walked over to me, humor dancing in her blue eyes.

"Don't worry, My Queen. He didn't hurt my feelings. Now, do you remember what happened?" She asks, taking out a bottle of pills and an array of other medical supplies.

"Yeah. I shifted fully for the first time and in the midst of battle, someone I was trying to warn instead of kill decided to stab me in the side." I scoff, she laughs and hands me a couple of painkillers.

"Take these. They'll help. Anyway, do you know what metal was used?" She asks, I shake my head as I throw back the pills with a swig of water.

"No. I only knew it was different when I wasn't healing." I answer, sighing as I feel the numbing affects cool my painful wound. I glance at Fleet's looming, worried form hunched over in the corner with glinting orange eyes. She nods, biting her lip.

"I found shards of a metal I have never seen or sensed before. I'm a metal mage." She sighs, looking worried. I nod once, speechless.

"Someone tried to kill me then. Like... literally kill me." I whisper, she nods once.

"Yes. Now, I want you to not use any of your powers. Drink plenty of blood, preferably from a live human. Total bed rest for at least a week. And you need to eat only soft foods or soup, anything easily digestible. Salted crackers, especially. And try to get as much sleep as you can." Her words are accented by a flash of lightning and booming thunder. Fleet nods.

"Thank you, Doctor. I'll take good care of her." He sends her a tight smile, his eyes never leaving mine. She leaves, sending me one last smile before heading out of the tent. He clenches his fists, his jaw tensing as his eyes trail down to my side. Only now do I realize I'm only being covered by white, medical wrap that the doctor somehow changed without me noticing. I blush, looking down as I fiddle with the top of the knitted blanket his cousin made us.

He slowly stalks towards me, his orange eyes glinting dangerously. I bite my lip as he comes closer, looking both ready to kiss me and scold me. "Tanya." He mumbles dangerously close to me, his breath fanning across my cheek.

"Y-yes?" I stammer, looking up nervously to onlyhave my breath taken away from me. His face was close to mine, just inches frommine. An arm reaches past my head, his hand successfully now successfullytrapping me against the bed. I cringe against the fluffy pillow, waiting forwhat was to come.