Chapter Twenty

The meeting had started an hour ago and everyone was dancing around the topic of why they were really here. "You see, we're really glad you are back, and the war is over. But there are some... touchy subjects we need to have with you." Councilmen Torrez nods at me, his eyes trailing over one of my many scars along my exposed shoulder.

I shuffle a tad bit closer to Fleet, but not daring to let my head lower a centimeter. Fleet glances over at me, eyes hardening at my discomfort.

"Get to the point." Fleet growls dangerously, his eyes flashing a deep red. Torrez flinches back, bowing his head out of respect. Respect that we haven't begun to earn just yet.

"With the shift of power and unstable life these past few years, the world is going to need a reassurance that life is ready to move on and that your power is secure." Councilwoman Diana speaks up her eyes narrowing at us. Specifically, me, her eyes trailing over me speculatively.

"As the council," She pauses, gesturing to the people around us.

"We highly recommend starting a family. Bearing a child means that this war is behind us, life is moving forward, and shows that your power as Queen and King is secure. It can give us more alliances with the other species as they pop out of hiding and bring forth more happiness. Make the baby a big deal. Go out often, see the people, travel the world and show off that baby bump, have a huge baby shower, make a huge announcement about what gender it is, I don't care. But make it a big deal." Diana speaks heatedly, I narrow my eyes at her. My fists clenching, I stare her down in anger and disbelief.

How dare she? I'm in mourning! She met my glare evenly, not even flinching as my authority as Queen met her in powerful waves.

"The war ended barely a month ago, we're in mourning for my sister, we're in mourning for everyone lost in this war, and you're asking us to move on just like that? Have kids? Show that we are happy, and that this kingdom is stable? It's not, Diana. We need to work with the people, ask them what they need, help the children, provide food and money to those who lost their lands or jobs, help rebuild the trust between us and the kingdom first. Not go off and start having babies!" I counter, Fleet leans forward on his throne. He nods to me, but I knew he had some other points to bring to the table.

"I think you are both right in different aspects. Diana, you are right that giving hope to the people will secure better trust, but it will only last in the moment. Tanya is right in the fact that we do need to rebuild this Kingdom and work with the people of a daily basis, but... I have a proposal. What if we do both? Though the baby thing will be on our own time, as we have our own plans as living beings and mates." He glances over at me, knowing I do want kids but on our own time.

What if I'm not a good mother? Or I ruin this child? Am I even ready? I'm barely twenty-two! Diana huffs, crossing her arms like a toddler. "How long will it take? Can she even conceive a child?" Diana scoffs, looking me up and down. Standing quickly, I'm close to flying at her. Fleet grabs my wrist loosely, but I knew in seconds he could have me pulled back and into his arms.

"It will take us our own time, give us five years to get you an heir. And yes, she can conceive a child. I would know if she had any medical problems, seeing as I oversaw her doctors and any medical treatment she received." Fleet states stiffly, a few of our guards stepping forward with low growls.

"I believe it's time for you to take your leave." I snarl, glaring straight at Diana. Slowly, they file out of the ballroom and towards their transportations. I screw my eyes shut tightly, so tight I saw those colorful dots swimming in my eyelids.

"Breathe, darling. I'm here, and she's gone. I promise you; you will have no trouble conceiving a child. We will take our time on this, fix ourselves and our kingdom before we do anything at all. You get every say in this, I do not have control in when we have kids. I just bought us time." Fleet shushes me gently, sliding his hands up and down my arms gently.

"Do you want to find the woman who drugged me, and we can finally be rid of her?" Fleet speaks softly, knowing I needed an outlet. I nod tersely, letting him drag me down to my once prison. The dark was penetrated by the lights turning on from our appearance on the stairs.

A weak, hacking cough echoed around the mostly empty dungeon. A few stragglers that were obviously drunk, probably only here for the night so they could sober up, a vampire or two, and then finally we came across a special cell. A cell for demons. A cell that will put her through torture daily if we so wished.

I thought I'd be filled with anger, seeing the woman who almost killed me through the matebond on the ground at my feet begging for her life. But I felt a pinch of sympathy, perhaps just pity. Her once pale blonde hair, now almost a deep brown from the mud and dirt on the ground. Her blue eyes dull as they stared up at me, empty. The only thing letting me know she was alive was the weak, staggered heartbeat.

"What's your name?" I surprisingly speak softly.

"Iliana." She coughs horribly, her whole body tensing with the cough.

"Iliana, I'm the mate of the man you drugged, the king, and landed yourself in the dungeons. I almost died because of what you did." I sternly say, she nods and drags herself closer to the wall and tries to sit up.

"I can't let you go, because I can't know that you won't come back or that you'll do the same thing to another person. But I don't want to kill you either. I've killed way too many already." I warn her, she nods.

"Very understandable. But please... I have a family! I'll do anything!" She begs weakly, I pause and glance over her. She would make a good warrior, but I'm going to humiliate her just a bit.

"You're going to be a maid here. You're going to do everything I say, and never will you even be in the same room as Fleetwood. You hear? I decide when you get to leave." I gruffly order, she nods.

"Thank you, My Queen! Thank you for your mercy!" She agrees quickly, I nod and open the door. A few guards race forward, helping her up.

"Take her to her maid quarters. Iliana, if you try to escape, there will be consequences. Stay outside her doors for now and double the patrols." I order, turning to walk away. "And take a shower! You're first shift is tonight." I yell over my shoulder, walking towards the creaky, steep stairs to get something to eat before I hang out with my friends and family.

It sounds horrible to make her work tonight, but I was going to make it easy on her. All she had to do was stand in the corner of the room with all the other maids, she'll even be allowed a chair and a meal, and wait for her orders of what we'll need and what we want.

She'll quickly realize that I'm actually quite lenient, but if she has a three strike and your out rule every day. Three mistakes or causing problems or warnings, and then she'll get a consequence. Maybe one day she'll be free of her debt she owes me.