Chapter 15

In the morning Jade takes me to school as usual. She goes into her morning rant about how her mom slept on the couch and how her mom still won't tell her where she plans to move, or if she has any plans at all. Jade is wearing her dad's army jacket around her waist today. I can tell this whole thing with her mom must be stressing her out.

So I am sure to pay extra close attention to her and hold her hand reassuringly as we walk into school to meet our friends. She smiles at me.

"Where have you two been?" Archer asks as we approach the table.

Jade drops my hand and runs into his arms.

No matter how hard I try to ignore the pain, I still feel it stabbing me in the guts. Reminding me that no matter how much attention I give her and how many times I hold her hand, I will only ever be her friend. She'll never look at me the way she looks at him.

"You would not believe what has happened to us!" Jade says dramatically.

"This ought to be good," Darleen raises an eyebrow.

"I almost got kidnapped!" Jade says.

"What!?" Wini's eyes go wide.

"True story, but thanks to Skylar, their evil plans were thwarted." She smiles at me.

"What happened?" Demarcus asks.

Then Jade proceeds to tell a dramatic retelling of the whole story.

"You okay?" Darleen asks me, ignoring Jade.

"Yeah, but I am grounded for two weeks. Which means no dates, no friends over, no anything. Mom's orders," I sigh.

"No way," Darleen frowns at me.

"I know, but rules are rules. Also, do you know anyone who wants a cat?"

"A cat?"

"Jade made me secretly adopt six kittens and now my mom found them and wants to get rid of three of them."

"You two have been busy." She comments.

"Something like that," I sigh.

She leans in and kisses me, right there at the table, in front of everyone! My face goes beet red.

"You are too cute," She smiles against my lips.

"D-Darleen. People can see us," I stammer.

"Let them look." She giggles before kissing me again.

I lean into the kiss which causes butterflies to flutter in my stomach.

"Ew get a room you two." Jade teases us.

I quickly pull back and Darleen shoots her a glare.

"So what's this I heard about Kittens?" Wini asks to change the subject.

"Right, any of you want a cute fur baby? We have three that need homes."

"I do," Wini says.

"Hey, I do too. My mom and I were just talking about it." Demarcus says.

"One fur baby left." Jade declares.

"I'll take it. I'm sure my parents won't mind." Archer says.

"Yay! That was easy." Jade smiles.

"Show them a picture," I say.

"Good idea!" Jade pulls out her phone and shows them the kittens.

While the three of them ogle the cuties I turn back to Darleen. Darleen smirks at me before kissing me again.

"Stop it," I whisper against her lips, pulling back.