Chapter 38

First thing I did when I got home was plug my phone in to charge. Then I grabbed some clothes and went for a shower.

I took a long shower as a way to wash off everything bad that happened yesterday. I was ready to try again. I wasn't going to let jealousy ruin my relationship. So I washed up, got dressed and went to inspect my phone. No new calls or messages. I sighed.

It was just past nine.

I called Darleen.

She didn't answer. It just rang and rang. She's probably still asleep I reasoned with myself. No need to think the worst just yet. So I took a deep breath and started my walk. I was going to walk to her house and apologize in person.

"Hey, where you going?" mom asked, she was quickly making herself a bite to eat. She must be running way late for work.

"I was going to walk to Darleen's. We got in a fight yesterday and now she won't answer my calls."

"A fight? About what?"

"Jealousy. There is this girl she's friends with. A really pretty girl and I got jealous of her. I guess I went too far." I kicked at the ground.

"I see, well I can drop you off on my way to work. I'm running late." She grabbed her car keys.

"Thanks mom," I smiled.

"Come on, I swear I hardly ever see you and your sister ever since you both started dating." She walked outside.

I followed her to the car.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly.

"Hey, I like having the house to myself." She smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"So, I noticed you stayed the night at Jade's. Care to comment?" She asked as we drove down the road.

"We've made up. I guess. I mean... I don't know. It's hard to explain."

"You know aunty told me about what you said to Jade. About how Jade broke down and threw a fit. You aren't just being her friend because you feel bad are you?"

"No mom, I mean it. I guess I'm ready to forgive her. We are just friends, we are taking things slow. I think she finally understands what I need right now."

"I just worry you know. I know how you feel about her, I don't want you to get hurt again." She sighed.

"I have Darleen now, well at least I had Darleen. I might have messed it up."

"You can fix it, I know you can." She assured me.

"Thanks mom," I smiled.

She dropped me off at Darleen's house before driving off. Darleen's car was in the driveway. I took a deep breath and walked up to the door before ringing the doorbell. I can do this. It's my fault so I have to fix it. I can do---

The door opened and standing in front of me wasn't Darleen, it was Aphrodite. I did my best to not let my eye twitch. I think I failed. She was in her pajamas which were the skimpiest, sluttiest pajamas I had ever seen. Just a short, and I do mean short! Nightgown. No sleeves and lace on her chest. I swear that thing was nearly see-through.

"Who is it?" I heard Darleen call.

Play nice. I had to remind myself. Darleen in her best friend, they haven't seen each other in five years, no big deal. This is just them reconnecting.

"Uh, Skylar, right?" Aphrodite asked me.

"Emm Hmm." I forced a smile.

"It's your girlfriend!" Aphrodite called back.