Chapter 39

"Skylar..."

"Emm." I rolled over in bed.

"Skylar..." Someone crawled on top of me and straddled me.

With a sigh, I opened my eyes. Jade was smirking at me. I sighed again before glancing at the bedside clock. Just barely eight in the morning.

"Jade, it's freaking early," I complain.

"I know but I got you something, or err I made you something." She corrects herself.

I just sigh and stare up at her being as I can't move.

"Don't you want to know what I made?" she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Okay Jade, what did you make?"

"Well while you were gone all day and night yesterday with your girlfriend, I made you something, just in case things went south between you two and you needed some cheering up. It took me all day and night to make it."

"Well, what is it?"

"I'll show you. come on, get up lazy bones." She moved off of me.

"Let me get ready first." I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Hurry! I can't wait much longer." She squeals in excitement.

I smirk at her adorableness.

I quickly go and wash up and then change my clothes.

"Pull your hair up, it's hot where we are going, but not as hot as you." she winks at me.

I chuckle at her cheesiness but can do nothing to hide the blush on my cheeks. She smirks at the sight of it. I quickly pull my hair up and look at her expectantly. She grabs my hand and leads me outside.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see." She pulls me down the sidewalk and we walk hand in hand on a brisk morning.

I glance down at our conjoined hands and casually take my hand away. I look to her face for a reaction, and there is one. Something between rejection and sadness. It makes me feel guilty. I mean friends hold hands, right?

"So how did things go with Darleen?" she asks as we walk down the sidewalk.

"Great." I force out, still feeling weird about how everything ended between us. "We both apologized and made up. She made breakfast and we hung out a little with her friend. We're good," I stick my hands in my pockets.

"Well, I'm glad everything worked out for you." her expression is hard to read, I know she can't mean that. I know part of her was hoping Darleen would dump me. Still, she puts on a brave face for me.

"What about you, heard anything from your so-called friends?"

"I'm done with those losers. You are way better than them." She smiles at me.

I smile back.

We walk in silence towards the small patch of woods and then into the woods. She leads me back to the cool little hideaway in the woods. You see there is this one spot that is surrounded by tons of trees and sort of makes you think there is nothing there, but behind the tree fence is something cool. An enclosure, a small little field with nothing in it. The trees hide it from anyone, I actually stumbled upon it on accident the first time. We walk up to the wall of trees and there is a "gate" there.

It's made of many fallen tree branches all tied together. There is a larger rope on it that goes all the way up into the air and around a tree branch. My eye follows it back down to where it is tied around the stump of yet another tree. On the gate is a handmade sign that says fortlandia.