Chapter 18

There are three things in this world I will never ever do. Not even if you tried to force me by dangling me off a cliff. One, mention my dad to my sister. Two, take my mom's things without permission. And lastly, three, betray or sell out Jade.

Not even at gunpoint, would I do any of these things. It's about respect. I respect my family enough to mind their boundaries and rules. As for Jade, well, it's Jade. She is my ride or die. I'd never sell her out. Ever. That's just best friend code 101.

"Is Jade cheating on me?" Archer asked.

Several things ran through my mind. One, why ask me and not Jade? Two, why would he even suspect something like that? Three, why lock me in a closet and be all creepy about it? He could have easily been casual. Theater people are so dramatic sometimes.

"What?" I said after my coughing fit.

"Don't lie to me Skylar, I know you know. She tells you everything."

"Wait, why would you even think Jade's cheating on you? She's not by the way, at least not to my knowledge."

"She's not?"

"Archer, what is going on?"

"Okay, hear me out. Before you go run and tell Jade."

I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms.

The tables have turned, he may have caught me off guard but I would do anything for Jade. Including protecting her from toxic jerk boyfriends. In fact, I would like nothing more than to break these two up. Nothing would bring me greater joy.

"She's been being all weird around me! Ever since we kissed. I tried to kiss her again but she just wasn't into it. This morning for example, when I tried to kiss her, she pushed me away and walked off."

She did?

Why?

"Why don't you just talk to her?" I ask.

"I think she's cheating on me," he sighed and sat down on what looked like a mushroom from Alice in Wonderland.

"Jade's not like that." I quickly defend her.

He frowned and stared at the ground.

"Okay, so I'm going to tell you this but you can't tell her I told you," I say.

He looks up in hope.

"Jade is crazy about you. Even before you two got together. She's had a huge crush on you forever. She's always going on and on about you. Does that sound like a girl who would cheat on you; when she's basically been madly in love with you for a year?"

"Really?" he said in surprise.

"Yes! It's so annoying. Archer is so perfect. Archer is so romantic. Archer this and Archer that. Archer, Archer, Archer! All she does is talk and think about you so why would she even cheat!? Why would you even think she's cheating?"

"Okay, you say all that but that's not how she acts around me," he stood up to defend himself. "Every time we are together she's airheaded and thinking about something or someone else. Every time I try and make a move on her she moves away or rejects it, or just ignores it. That's embarrassing! People are starting to look at me funny."

Archer is an actor type, he's always looking for the approval of others. It's why he's the class clown, he likes to make people laugh. He's a natural people pleaser. Always has been. So he cares a lot about what people think of him and how people look at him. He takes it personally.

"You like here right?" I ask.

"Well yeah, I want to try and make this work. She's hot. I'm kind of surprised she was ever even into me. I always thought Jade was sort of out of my league."